American Stout or BIPA, opinions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eetu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a "kitchen sink" beer where I threw in all my leftower malts. First I felt like it was going to be a black ipa and was planning to dry hop it generously with Equinox.

This dilemma occured when I realised that my yeast was not going to ferment it as dry as I would have wanted. I used Lallemand ESB dry yeast ex tempore and did research afterwards that it attenuates only moderately. This will probably leave me at around 1.020-24 while OG was 1.070. ABV is still in the ball park but I'm afraid it will be too sweet.

Yes, I know, brew beers not styles and I'm not really worried about which style it will be. But now I'm starting to lean towards not dry hopping it at all, or just lightly, and leave it more stout-like. Would save that 100g of hops for later.

What would you do?

Here's the recipe roughly.

14.5 litres (a bit less than 4gal)

OG 1.070
IBU ~60+

Bace malts 91%
Crystal malts 3.8%
Carafa special II 3.8%
Roasted barley 1.4%

Comet 60min 40IBU
Comet whirlpool 10IBU
Fuggles whirlpool 10IBU

Thanks for any advice/opinion!

If you already brewed it, then maybe save the hops.

But Lallemand ESB will atenuate well, if you mash low ( 147-149F ) and add sugar to the boil.

Yes, primary fermentation is almost done. I mashed at medium temperature. Not too late to add sugar or dry extract, but not really fond of that option.

Adding sugar to beer, especially one fermented with a very low attenuating yeast, will make no real difference. It will still be medium-full body, with lots of mouthfeel, due to the higher FG.

I meant if i added some water to go with the sugar to lighten the body, but like I said, not likely to go that road.

It definitely doesn't have the malt bill of a stout -- not nearly roasty enough IMO.

If it really does stall out at high FG, and if you're considering adding things anyway, consider adding a different yeast to finish the job.

I've decided to go with the original plan and dry hop with the pack of Equinox.

I'll update once the beer is ready.

Looks like a dark English ale to me. I would think it is the kind of beer that will do well with age. Perhaps hold onto the hops for a while and see what you think after a bit.
For what it's worth I think you'd be wasting equinox in a beer like this. Better something like brambling cross, or something. Save the premium equinox for a nice light tropical affair, but then again sometimes thought is the enemy of invention.

Dark english ale? I beg to disagree. Beersmith calculates almost 70ebc (35srm), and by experience I can say that it will definitely be black. Ibu is nowhere near an english ale, and with generous whirlpool hops the hop aroma will be present, dry hopped it or not.

I bought the hops half price, it's harvested 2016. I planned to use it for this "all in" brew in the first place.

The original plan is often the best one. I've had a few regrets after making last gasp changes and while this is not my most thought out recipe, I still think dry hopping will work just fine. The beer would probably lack anything interesting without it.

Maybe maybe. It's more the relatively high caramel that put me in mind of an English dark, which can be pretty black and pretty bitter. I'm sure it'll be cracking whatever it's called... Wtf is black ipa anyway. Most beer is categorised weird these days imo. Session ipa? On yer bike lad!
My only point, if indeed I had one, was that it might be worth saving the dry hops till you tasted it in a few weeks, assuming you weren't going for active ferment addition. I've spoiled a few good Beers by unescessary dry hopping, but possibly the Cara you used was light in which case it's no bother

Point taken and will be pulling a sample tomorrow to taste and measure.

The Caramel malt is pretty light, about 40srm.

Took a sample today and it sits at 1.022, just as expected. Some roastiness, subtle but distimct hop aroma/flavor and quite strong bitterness. Obviously hard to say at this point but i doubt the malt profile will turn into anything special.

Dry hops it is!

I'd be surprised if this turned out to be one of my better beers but hey, i like surprises!

Back