Am I stuck at 1.024, Zombie Dust Clone w/Safale S-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the Zombie Dust clone found here on HBT talk on 6/7/16. Recipe attached from BeerSmith. I brewed at night (no big deal) but had a hell of a time cooling the wort. So by 3:30am I pitched the rehydrated yeast (Safale S-04) on the high side at 88 degrees Fahrenheit. I know how this can cause some off flavors and what not, but I didn't want to wait too long. Well in 24 hours the fermometer was at 65 degrees (my basement stays cool). My starting gravity, which I pulled a sample and cooled in the fridge was 1.056, a little lower than what BeerSmith calculated (1.068) but I'm still dialing in my BIAB setup. Mashing temp was around 156 for one hour, if that helps.

I've checked my gravity readings on 6/18 & 6/24 (today) and both were at 1.024 which is a little higher than what BeerSmith predicted (1.020). This leads me to believe fermentation is done at this point. It's been 16/17 days since the brew day. I haven't used Safale S-04 much (once a long time ago) so I am not sure if this yeast should drop much lower or not.

So before I assume that I may need to re-pitch another packet of yeast, I wanted to see what others think and from their experience with Safale S-04. Part of me feels like the fermentation has stalled, but then again I am only a little off from what BeerSmith predicted. So I'm torn... :confused: What do you all think? Is it done and I should just move on to dry hopping? Should I pitch another packet of yeast and wait? Thank you all in advance for your input!

PS - I now have a wort chiller (Father's Day gift)! ;)

View attachment Zombie Dust Clone (HBT).pdf

Thanks Yoopers! Looks like I will be dry hoping tonight!

Also, newbie question here. If I want to get more fermentable's out of the wort, do I mash at a lower temperature? I believe that is the case, but wanted to double check.

Back