Allen Scott wood-fired ovens for bread - occasional pizza - "black oven" plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together some thoughts for a WFO "black oven" that would be devoted to breadmaking for the most part using retained heat v. an oven more for pizza, a with fire ongoing during bake. More insulation, I'd say, without the need for using firebrick everywhere...thinking hearth floor of firebrick, with walls and dome of standard red brick. Unless I can find a cheaper source for firebrick.

I really enjoyed the book The Bread Builders. Unfortunately, Mr. Scott died a few years back and his company, Ovencrafters, though it ostensibly was taken over by his son Nick, appears to have folded. To the skilled, apparently, the book is enough to build from but for dorks like myself, I would trust having plans more. Ovencrafters used to sell the plans, but they've since disappeared, as I say. I have tried to contact Nick for plans to the book's build (a 32" x 36" oven), but so far haven't heard from him on FB.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Please note these ovens are somewhat different than the "Pompeii" style as on FornoBravo. (Longer than wider, slightly oval, as opposed to round).

allen scott wfo II.jpg
allen scott wfo.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
83c83dd5f14b687362456b0046e542ca.jpg
563e20f89cacf12d0d28fdcf11d1e34b.jpg
613ca6ca60b9a5df822f83d59a222460.jpg

Back