Advice on where to drill hole for gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koldbrew

Reaction score
I’m currently 1 step away from finishing my kegerator setup with a Magic Chef 3.4 cu ft ( HMBR350BE1) with a front door tap. I need to drill a hole for the gas line and can’t for the life of me find if/where the gas lines are. I’ve tried 3 times on the side (since that was a convenient area to put it) and it all dries evenly so I’m worried I’m doing it wrong. Also the the side is warm so I’m thinking that’s riskier than going with the back corner (blue square area).

does anyone have any advice on the best spot to drill the gas line hole?

____
Other details: the keg I have is a 3.5 gal, and I had it on the shelf but it froze solid and now can’t fit the nitro tank into the kegerator. Other pictures for reference and this is for nitro cold brew.

Attachments

• 8B545F53-A429-4231-8C48-7A33DE3149BB.jpeg
    8B545F53-A429-4231-8C48-7A33DE3149BB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • B00044A6-C80F-43CC-B3EC-C9EAF8F16EEC.jpeg
    B00044A6-C80F-43CC-B3EC-C9EAF8F16EEC.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 51
  • D0F54BA6-D8BC-4704-8C43-59120D20CD33.jpeg
    D0F54BA6-D8BC-4704-8C43-59120D20CD33.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • B7F4EB18-2907-4906-80DE-945230B04F77.jpeg
    B7F4EB18-2907-4906-80DE-945230B04F77.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
A choice I haven't seen mentioned previously (but probably considered by somebody somewhere) would be to go through the hump inside.
I too think that's the safest. Drill the hole in an unobstructed area, so the line can be easily inserted and routed to where your tank is.

Oh, and use EVA Barrier line for both your beer and gas!
Vinyl's out!

A choice I haven't seen mentioned previously (but probably considered by somebody somewhere) would be to go through the hump inside.
By hump you mean the quarter shelf? I hadn't thought of that but I'll workshop that.

The installation guide for that unit says "Allow 5 inches of space between the back and sides of the refrigerator, which allows the proper air ventilation." Which means it uses the exterior cabinet skin as the radiator for an under-the-skin condenser, which wraps around the back.

Based on that I concur with a through-the-hump hole. I would use one of these 1/4" mfl panel SS bulkheads, then add JG PTC 8mm / 5/16" fittings on either side...[edit] for use with 4mm ID/8mm OD EVABarrier tubing.
MFL Bulkhead Adapter Shank Panel Mount [MFLBHAdtrPnlMnt-04C03171ih] - $3.58 : The Chi-Company, a home brewing company since 1996, New and used beverage equipment for Homebrewing, Home winemaking, Soda systems and used Pepsi vending equipment

1630092930048.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Glad I looked at this post before asking a similar question. I got a nice new 5 gal keg and a dual-body reg and can't get two kegs and the tank inside my mini-fridge. I never considered going through the hump but now that's my plan.

By hump you mean the quarter shelf? I hadn't thought of that but I'll workshop that.
Yes, the compressor is under it. I was just working on my ferm chamber which is a wine cooler. I ended up taking out a circuit board that was under there and seems like there's room and visibility in that space. Whether the shelf or the face of the shelf section would be better I don't know but some sort of bulkhead as day_trippr suggests would be good particularly if you use the shelf (top part). My wine cooler has a drain on it which is similar to a regular fridge in that the liquid drips into a pan above the compressor to be evaporated.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up going in through the bottom left corner of the hump and it's working great so far!

I had a similar mini fridge. I drilled thru the upper rear. Small pilot hole in the skin to probe and explore for Freon lines and then bigger hole

Back