Advice needed going from 15 to 20 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
I just acquired a 30g G1 boilermaker and am contemplating going to single tier – if I can afford it.

My current equipment includes:

1 30g boilermaker
2x 20g pots with single valve
1 ½” 50’ Hex (in BK, hooked up for household water)
1x march pump
3x12v solar pumps
1x PID controller with temperature sensor (en route to me) and up to 240V relay
1x blichmann burner
1x fairly powerful no-name burner
2x 17g plastic conicals
2x 40g wine fermentation buckets
1x13g pot (was $10 bucks and grabbed as a just in case bucket)
1x Old corny with chewed up input threads

I also have access to cheap 8x8’ 2x2 180 wall steel and can weld.

I currently use propane, but would like to eventually go to natural gas – have access to 120v and 240v 30 amp, but am not super keen on using it.

I had thought about this budget HERMS:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576741

but I wonder if the 12v pump will be sufficient for recirculation of 15-20g batches. It is a nice cheap alternative though given all I would really have to buy would be an additional Hex or maybe two (cost $50- 100 for the HEx plus valves or a whole lot of swapping tubing around at the march pump).

Process wise, assuming the 12v motors works for recirculation, I’d use the march pump for the HERMS, then disconnect, the 12v for mash circulation and to pump to BK, for wort cooling: household water through either the HTL HEx or an additional Hex (our ground water in Calgary is super cold)

For mash out though, Loyds system seems to use the 12v pump system to pump to the BK, but I would assume I would need some sort of system to access HLT water(?)

I do like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160669

But I can’t weld SS myself and it would require more parts…

RIMS systems will cost me ~$200 by the time I gather all the bits, so that may be out for a while just based on cost - plus it would likely require an extra pump (the cheapest I can get an additional pump here (from China) is going to be $150).

I could just stay with my existing system and wrap the heck out of my former BK now 20g MLT, but I am so close to the single tier with recirculation, I want to see if I can get there this year…

Too many permutations – if someone can point me to a budget-based interim model, I would really appreciate it. Next year I can contemplate a more advanced system, for now, I am focused on volume and cost control…

Costs, but the way, are quite a bit higher up here in Canada with exchange rates and shipping costs…

Any advice appreciated

Latest posts

Back