Adventures in sourdough brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I haven't seen much mention of brewing with sourdough here, so I thought I'd post my experiences.

This is not about making sourdough bread from beer yeast, but about brewing beer using sourdough yeast.

About 4 years ago, as part of my bread-making obsession, I captured a wild yeast in my kitchen from a rye flour slurry. Over the years, I've been nurturing and baking with it, and getting a pretty good understanding of how it reacts to time and temperature - we've become a good team. The yeast is quite hardy, but has never been an overly 'sour' sourdough. Every time I go to refresh the starter, I smell to make sure it hasn't spoiled. Every time, there's a light fruity-floral scent.

I've long thought about attempting to make beer, but always put it off as yet another obsession I didn't need. That is, until last November. With lots of research and reading (much of it here), I cobbled together a BIAB system for small 1-2 gallon batches.

My first 'brew' was simply a small all-grain starter, pressured canned into small mason jars, with no hops - just to see if my yeast would take to it. A dollop into a jar showed signs of bubbling after a few hours. A week later, and it had fermented. It smelled beer-ish, and tasted beer-ish, with a distinct sour-ness.

Time to try a real batch. Using a lightly hopped starter, I stepped up the yeast over a period of 5 days, brewed a 1-gallon batch of California Common, and threw caution to the wind and pitched the sourdough.

After 10 days fermenting, I cool-crashed for 4 days. Bottled and waited 4 weeks. Man, that wait was hard.

Just after Christmas, I had a buddy come over and we tried it. It was delicious. There was no lacto sour, as I assume the acidity of the hops overpowered the lacto in the starter. There were slight hints of fruit/flora, but not overpowering. It was a nicely balanced, flavorful beer.

Great - another obsession.

I've repitched that yeast at least 4 times now, mostly with success. I'm still working out other aspects of my system, and have been scaling up to bigger batches. I even did a no-boil Berliner Weisse which allowed the lacto to come through.

I'm interested in continuing to pitch and nurture this culture - my own house yeast, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experience propagating their yeast over a long term. Since the starter has been born and developed in my home, I would think there would be less of an issue of infection, since technically it kinda already is an infection.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm not a bread expert, but from what I understand, sourdough yeast is what we call "wild yeast"

so..... did you brew a farmhouse ale? I never found those "balanced."

Fascinating. I have no experience propagating yeast, but, if you don't mind, could you explain how you captured a wild yeast in your kitchen from a rye flour slurry? Does that mean you were examining them with a microscope?
Once you found this gem, did you stop looking for other wild yeast? Aren't there plenty to find?

Yes - wild yeast for sure. A bit saison-ish I suppose.

The method I used to originally capture (and start my sourdough starter) is described here:
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/raising-a-starter/

Equal parts water and flour. Stir. Wait. Take some of the sponge away, add more flour and water, stir. Wait.

It took a couple of attempts before it really took off, but I've been baking with it since. No microscope or isolating specific strains - you get whatever is in the flour and/or air - yeast/lacto/???. It may or may not be suitable for beer, I guess. The esters given off by whatever I've found are a bit fruity, so I thought I'd give it a try in beer.

Maintaining the sourdough starter is easy. Before you bake, you take some of the sponge and activate/step it up overnight with additional flour/water. You also replace the volume that's just been removed with fresh flour/water and let that activate overnight. In the morning, the original jar goes back into the fridge for next time, and the activated sponge goes into your bread recipe.

I see lots of discussion on capturing wild yeast using wort, I was surprised others haven't hit up their baker buddies for some already captured yeast.

Been about a year since comments, but I'm giving this thread a try. As it is one of the only search results pertinent to what I'm about to do tonight:

which is throw some of my sourdough starter into a one-gallon test brew (a red ale), and let it ferment out. I have a baking background and a homebrew background, and both hobbies involve yeast, so this seems like a natural idea to me.

Perhaps if my test batch does well, I will return to this forum to report back!

I will jump in here as well. My father is a hard core bread guy. He has some very special sour dough cultures he has maintained. I'm going to be doing some 1 gallon batches very shortly, I am planning on using a Lambic grain bill mashed on the higher end.

This particular sour dough culture was orignally brought across the Oregon Trail. He obtained it from one of his bread forums, there is a whole story behind it, as people have been maintaining and passing it along. The whole thing is really interesting to me, now I just have to find a way to have it make a great beer!

I am really just getting into the research phase of brewing something with a sour dough culture, and don't know to much about It right now (no baking background here). I will report back, when I learn more, and get something going.

I will jump in here as well. My father is a hard core bread guy. He has some very special sour dough cultures he has maintained. I'm going to be doing some 1 gallon batches very shortly, I am planning on using a Lambic grain bill mashed on the higher end.

This particular sour dough culture was orignally brought across the Oregon Trail. He obtained it from one of his bread forums, there is a whole story behind it, as people have been maintaining and passing it along. The whole thing is really interesting to me, now I just have to find a way to have it make a great beer!

I am really just getting into the research phase of brewing something with a sour dough culture, and don't know to much about It right now (no baking background here). I will report back, when I learn more, and get something going.

The wild beer brewery here in uk has a sour dough beer in program, it is quite nice.

I wouldn't try to emulate lambic beer, as those can take years to fully ferment. I would go with an easy fermenting wort, mashed at low temperature.

The wild beer brewery here in uk has a sour dough beer in program, it is quite nice.

I wouldn't try to emulate lambic beer, as those can take years to fully ferment. I would go with an easy fermenting wort, mashed at low temperature.

Yup Yup. I'm just gonna use a Lambic grain bill. Just gonna it mash low. I'm not trying, or hoping to have anything turn out to be close to a Lambic.

Sounds good!

I also thought about doing that tbh.. Once I infected a pint of wort with juice from my homemade wild Sauerkraut and it started bubbling after one day. Discarded it because I did not know what I was doing.... Will try it again!

It's been a while since I posted this, so I thought an update is in order.

In total, I was able to repitch the same sourdough yeast 9 times, the last beer being a pumpkin spice ale brewed in Aug of 2016, and it was delicious.

The only thing that stopped me from going further with it is that I turned my time/energy over the last year and a half into converting a small, unused bathroom in my house into a very crowded 3-vessel EHERMS brewroom. I still have a few tweaks to make to the system, but I still have my sourdough bread starter going, so I hope to replicate the entire process of building up a usable beer yeast once again.

I'll try and take more pictures this time and post the results.

I too have a sourdough starter that I made from scratch about 5 years ago. I bake wholegrain roggenbrot twice a week. I have tried to make beer with it once, but unfortunately it wasn’t a success. It underperformed, the FG was in mid 30s(OG 1.040) so I guess mine just doesn’t like maltose or maybe there was something else, maybe too hoppy. IDK.

I've had quite a lot of success brewing with my Dad's sourdough culture. A Pils base with noble hops, fermented at 30 Celsius it produces something like a cross between a Belgian saison and a hefeweizen. From an OG of 1.054 it fermented right out to 1.002 in a week. This is now basically my house beer and is always on tap, but I feel it ages very well in bottles. No tartness from the lacto due to the hops.

I also brew fruited Berliners with no hops, gives a good level of lactic sourness but never ferments below 1.010.

Last experiment was a robust smoked porter, fermented down to 1.008 for a 7.9% beer, tastes more like a smoky black saison than a traditional porter but very nice indeed.

I found that fermenting at room temp (around 18-20 Celsius) I got a slower fermentation and even stalled ferments where I had to ramp up the temp to finish, the yeast character was much more subdued at lower temps also so I always ferment at 30.

Haven't got a clue what is in the sourdough culture but it makes damn good beer, and I know everyone's culture will be different but I'd recommend giving it a shot for sure.

Interestingly Scratch Brewing in Illinois use their sourdough culture for 'clean' beers and their sours, a brewer there told me they get good results in Saison and Hefeweizen styles. They also don't hop a lot of their sours and use other bittering methods such as foraged plants.

I've had quite a lot of success brewing with my Dad's sourdough culture. A Pils base with noble hops, fermented at 30 Celsius it produces something like a cross between a Belgian saison and a hefeweizen. From an OG of 1.054 it fermented right out to 1.002 in a week. This is now basically my house beer and is always on tap, but I feel it ages very well in bottles. No tartness from the lacto due to the hops.

wow, thats awesome! how much sourdough slurry are you pitching? open/semi-open or airlocked fermentation?
also, what type of sourdough? rye? wheat? mixed? wholegrain? refined flour?

Last edited:
wow, thats awesome! how much sourdough slurry are you pitching? open/semi-open or airlocked fermentation?
also, what type of sourdough? rye? wheat? mixed? wholegrain? refined flour?

Pitched 50g into the Berliner as it was a lower gravity, the higher gravity beers such as the Porter and Saison I put 100g of starter in each. I have no idea whether that's a massive overpitch but it turned out ok!
All airlocked fermentations.
And my dad tells me he uses 50/50 white flour and wholegrain for his starter.

Hope that helps and hope you get better luck if you try it again! Definitely a cool experiment.

Also just a note that the brewer I emailed from Scratch Brewing told me they won't ferment their Saisons above 80 but their sours will get up to 100.

Back