Adding water to bottling bucket POST FERMENTATION questions (scrubbing DO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a white IPA almost ready to be bottled. Loving everything about it, but my efficiency was a bit high, and I had no room to add water to the fermenter pre-fermentation, so I'm thinking to add some post fermentation to my bottling bucket. The total volume gained by the water is about 5 percent, or just enough to take it from 7.2 abv to 6.8. The only thing holding me back is getting all or most dissolved oxygen out of the water before I add it to the bottling bucket.

I read that boiling only takes the DO down to about 1000ppb (or 1 ppm), but I just read the brulosophy xbmt that showed a 10min boil got water down to 200ppb, which would obviously be way better. Is there any reason to think that this wouldn't be the case for me?

In addition to that, I add ascorbic acid and a small amount of kmeta to my beers at bottling, purge bottles, purge headspace, and bottle condition. With all of these steps, I don't want to get an oxidized beer all because of the added water.

One thing I do have going for me is that I don't see a problem adding the water to the bottling bucket fresh off the boil, meaning it wouldn't have time to pick up more o2. My beer goes into the bucket at 2c/36f, so adding 5 percent at boiling temp shouldn't pose any real risk.

My questions here are:

-should I expect to get similar DO numbers to brulosophy from a 10min boil?

-Would adding ascorbic acid and/or kmeta directly to that water at the end of the boil help to scrub the leftover DO? If so, does anyone have specific numbers (g/l, g/gal, etc, all fine)?

-Anything else I should be aware of if using filtered water for this, aside from dilution of brewing salts/IBU, etc?

-Has anyone done this, and if so, how were the results?

Thanks a lot! While this isn't what I'd call necessary, I and very curious to see if it works out as it would be an interesting option for the future.

Best,
Tyler

Quick update, a friend who's deep into LODO brewing checked some of his sources and said it's looking like a vigorous boil should get me down to 500ppb, and at that point 5mg/liter metabisulfite should scrub the rest. That should be doable for sure. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know 🍻

make A “starter” of your top off water, priming sugar, and carbing yeast. Once it starts actively fermenting add it to bucket and mix. Maybe add an extra 10% sugar to account for “lost” co2.

make A “starter” of your top off water, priming sugar, and carbing yeast. Once it starts actively fermenting add it to bucket and mix. Maybe add an extra 10% sugar to account for “lost” co2.

That's another option. I do have some extra t58 which is the same yeast I used to ferment the beer

Back