Adding stir bar to starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Just few minutes ago I was making a starter and when the boil was finished I turned off the burner, tilted the flask and slid the stir bar down the side. At that moment it exploded about 300ml out the top. Luckily it was not pointed at me. Some caught leg but nothing serious.

What I thought was going to be a smooth brew day turned into a decent mess forcing a re-clean of half the kitchen and I'm only 20 minutes into the brew day.

I would not boil it. Here is what i do and it seems to work great for me. As I am making the starter get a small cup add some star san in there and put stir bar into star san let sit. when boil is over remove flask from heat let sit 2-3 minutes. I then tilt flask like you do and slid bar into flask. Cover with foil and let sit 2 more minutes and into ice bath to chill. I never get where it over flows out of the flask and I think letting it sit a few minutes really helps.

The instructions I got with my stir plate/stir bar were that I should boil the stir bar with the wort. Says the stir bar is heat resistant at boiling temps. I've done it about 10 times now with no adverse affects.

I've used stir bars in boiling chemical solutions in chem lab - your starter should be a piece of cake.

most peoples concern comes from the bar sitting right over the hottest part of your container, which can often be in excess of boiling temp- the concern is melting the plastic / teflon shell of the stir bar. Stir bars are relatively cheap- get an extra and then run a couple tests with just water (so you dont ruin your starter, duh!) to put yourself at ease if you want to boil it.

If you add something to near boiling liquid like that it will do that every time. Just do like others said and boil it the whole time or just starsan soak it, which is what I do and drop it in when the starter is cool.

Back