6 Year break, new equipment - how do you brew again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Bird

Reaction score
Ok, so have done 2 batches with my new equipment and I feel like I never brewed before. I am chalking most of it up to poor planning but I have forgotten some basics and not hitting my gravities like I used to. Getting used to different rig and new version of BeerSmith.

I have an 10 gal igloo cooler, 8 gallon kettle with quart marks every 2 quarts, QD's on both and a Mark II pump. I do have 2 coolers but I have not been using the other as an HLT.

1) When using a pump for mash and sparge water, how do you get accurate volumes? I want to pump and I have sworn off lifting pots. If that is the case do you calculate your BK deadspace, add that volume to your strike water and just leave the rest behind? I have a hard time trusting that the pump is leaving the same amount each time. I also kind of like heating up more water than I need, but its really hard to see the quart marks inside those damn igloo's.

2) When batch sparging with use of a pump (single infusion, drain before sparge) do you use your pump to recirculate for both runnings? How fast?

3) How fast do you pump into BK?

Help a brotha out. Thanks.

1) make a measuring stick. Fill the mash tun with measured volumes of water one measure at a time and mark your stick as you go.

2) even with pumps I use gravity for my batch sparging. I stir but don't recirculate.

3) not so fast as to compact the grain bed in the MT.

I just got back into it after a 7 year hiatus, but all of my equipment was sitting pretty much like I always stored it. I was major league rusty and lifting sucks now. New stuff would add to the confusion.

I just got back into it after a 7 year hiatus, but all of my equipment was sitting pretty much like I always stored it. I was major league rusty and lifting sucks now. New stuff would add to the confusion.
I hear ya John! I think third time will be a charm. I have a good plan, all equipment set, cobwebs clear and ready to brew a Lagunitas Little Sumpin clone tomorrow!

I hear ya John! I think third time will be a charm. I have a good plan, all equipment set, cobwebs clear and ready to brew a Lagunitas Little Sumpin clone tomorrow!
I just bottled "Back in Blonde" - my return brew. Seven years put some funk on otherwise clean bottles!
Next is an all-grain version of Holiday Cheer from Charlie Papazian's book. My wife loves that one.
I did put in a new thing, but it shouldn't be a huge deal. I got a stainless bulkhead fitting for my cooler, before, I had cut the button valve off the plastic factory fitting and stretched silicone tubing to make a seal. A hose clamp controlled the flow. Now, there is a ball valve. Yay!
It's a real bulkhead fitting - not a nipple, washers, and o-rings. I found it on eBay, but morebeer.com also sells them. Hopefully, no problems.
10429.jpg

Latest posts

Back