50L Braumeister Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 50L runs on 240v using a 3200w element so it's not pulling all that many amps - the website says a circuit that can handle 16 amps is all that is needed. You just have to figure out which plug it has. Morebeer or Speidel would know if you emailed them. I recently got the 20L with the 120v/2000w element and it heats a little over 2F per minute.

You can also schedule the time you want it to start heating so it'll be ready for you when you want to start brewing. Or start it remotely using the online Speidel cockpit.

I know you asked for the 50L, so I'm not sure if my answer helps you or not but it was hard for me finding much discussions about these machines. I don't think there are many BM users here on HBT. They truly are a work of art though...

Unfortunately, I have the 2011 model so it's pretty old school when it comes to the control panel.

We heated up 55L of water to 65° C and it took four hours. I know we have the proper electrical for it so that shouldn't be the issue. I was just wondering if that seems normal, or is four hours a bit long?

It's been a long time since I used the equipment so I really do not remember how long it took when I used it back in 2011.

I use an induction burner that is 3500 watts and can be done with mash and boil in 4 hrs.
might you be missing a leg of the 240v and only getting 120v?
My friend with 2 of those units(went into commercial brewing) had a silicone insulating wrap and we were done in 6 or so hrs. Check your wiring and insulate that bad boy!

We heated up 55L of water to 65° C and it took four hours.

Something is wrong. I had a 1650w element in a 15 gallon kettle and it would get 13 gallons to 150F in around ~1.5 hrs. So surely an element twice the size would get you there much quicker.

I agree with @hottpeper13, check your wiring. If that receptacle hasn't been used in a while check with a multimeter to ensure you're getting 240v. I'd probably flip the BM over and just ensure everything is connected well and nothing got gnawed on by something in storage.

Something is wrong. I had a 1650w element in a 15 gallon kettle and it would get 13 gallons to 150F in around ~1.5 hrs. So surely an element twice the size would get you there much quicker.

I agree with @hottpeper13, check your wiring. If that receptacle hasn't been used in a while check with a multimeter to ensure you're getting 240v. I'd probably flip the BM over and just ensure everything is connected well and nothing got gnawed on by something in storage.
We're going to be looking at the unit over the next couple of days so hopefully, we can get everything under control!

Thank you everyone for your guidance. We'll keep you posted!

Back