4 months in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdphillips73

Reaction score
I'm posting this for those who are thinking or just now getting into homebrewing. This is my 120 day review.

Days 1-30- I started out with one of those beginner kits with a glass carboy, bottling bucket, hand capper and extract kit. Brewed about 4 of those kits and quickly bought a 2nd glass carboy. I was making full 5 gallon batches in my Blichmann 10 gallon kettle. LESSONS LEARNED during this time- it got old real quick trying to keep the carboys in the ideal temperature range during fermentation.

Days 31-60- I bought a maytag 8.0 cu. ft. freezer and an inkbird temperature controller to use as a keezer. I was up to 4 glass carboys being stored inside of it. Bought tons of bottles, and upgraded to a bench capper. LESSONS LEARNED- I'm starting to think of saving money by going all-grain but dont want to spend a lot on the set-up. BIAB I (Brew in a bag)seems the way to go at this point.

Days 61-90- I got set-up for BIAB and started doing 5 gallon all grain batches. A Yopper Ale and Edworts Haus Ale were my first two. Bought a Corona Mill and modified it to be housed in a 5 gallon bucket and operated by a drill. The beer bottle pipeline is now going strong. LESSONS LEARNED- Im getting real tired of cleaning and bottling and multiple 5 gallon batches are taking too long. Plus the cost of propane and hassle of refilling is taking its toll.

Days 91-120- Kegging begins. I bought a danby freezer big enough for 4 kegs and added a inkbird temperature controller. By using plans on here I added 3 perlock taps and a #10 dual regulator CO2 tank. I also upgraded to a 20 gallon Blichmann kettle to make 10 gallon BIAB Batches. Also, bought a Blichmann Hellfire burner and natural gas conversion kit. Good bye bottling and propane.

So here we are... what started at a tailgate party across the street when I watched some guy make a extract 5 gallon batch in the front yard sparked a really fun, expensive yet rewarding hobby. Im spending way less time, working smarter, and enjoying more quality beer. Plans in the future? Well- Maybe a full blown all grain setup? I dont know, dont know enough about the benefits yet to take the plunge.

Wherever you are in the process, cheers!

I went from 5 gallons of beer brewed with 3 vessels and packaged in 50+ bottles, to 2.5 gallons brewed in 1 vessel and packaged in one 2.5 gallon keg.

The classic homebrew books and forum wisdom can be a bit outdated in terms of helping newbies get a good sense of all options. You just have to do it and learn for yourself what you like.

I went from 5 gallons of beer brewed with 3 vessels and packaged in 50+ bottles, to 2.5 gallons brewed in 1 vessel and packaged in one 2.5 gallon keg.

The classic homebrew books and forum wisdom can be a bit outdated in terms of helping newbies get a good sense of all options. You just have to do it and learn for yourself what you like.

I also down sized from 5 gallon kits to 2 gallon BIAB. I don't have a lot of free loading friends to help me drink 100 bottles of the same stuff and Usually only drink one bottle a day. Maybe 2 on a weekend.

So 2 gallon batches gives me most of the time something between 16 and 18 bottles and my refer offers me a CHOICE of what to drink.

Don't feel bad..... I am now coming up to my 1yr....
I went from a brew kit from Northern to a All grain setup with a built stand and pumps and **** over to a Grainfather which I love more than anything else thus far. Went from bottling to getting a Perlick kegger that is now 4 tap (think I will try http://keg.ninja to track it) with a 20lbs co2 and a 5lbs co2. Tools went from refractometers or hydrometers to a Tilt (http://tilthydrometer.com/products/brewometer) and now use brewstat.us to track the fermentation process.

On deck is a SS conical from SS brew, maybe that 7 gallon brewmaster edition..... and it just keeps going ;)

Back