2 Recipes for Lox (Gravlox and Novalox) Salmon Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I thought I'd share these old Scandanavian recipe that I learned in Norway for making homemade lox. The first is for Grav Lox. These lox are only cured in salt and sugar. The second, Nova Lox, is cured and then cold smoked.

Gravlox

2 lbs salmon filet with the skin on
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 bunch dill

Cut the salmon filet in half to make two equal-sized pieces.

Mix the salt and sugar in a bowl and place on the salmon. The salmon will absorb the mixture during the curing process. Put the dill on the top. Then, compress the two pieces of fish together and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.

Place the fish into a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Get all of the air out and then put it into a pyrex baking dish.

Refrigerate, with weights on top, which is crucial.

The lox will take 2-3 days to cure. At the end of each day, drain any liquid from the salmon.

Nova Lox

This recipe is a little more complicated. Take a filet of salmon. Start by making a brine of salt and brown sugar and, if you like a specific spice, go ahead and add it to the brine. The brine should be about 2:1 salt to brown sugar, but you can certainly use your own brine recipe. One way to tell if you have enough salt is to float an egg. Leave it in the brine for 12 hours. Then after 12 hours, remove fish from the brine and rinse in water for an hour. Remove from the rinse, rack, and place it under refrigeration to cure for at least 12 more hours. Smoke at 70'F for around 16 hours.

Back