2 batches at once, twice the questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brew day yesterday, brewed a Belgian and a kolsch, fun, needed a little more organization than with one batch to keep track. Also, first mini-mash. That was inside, wife didn’t dig it. But she likes the beer, so...

Ok, some questions

Kolsch turned out to be pretty dark, more like a light stout. Was an extract batch with 2 adds. Expected light yellow, got medium brown. Anything I could have done to make this color? There was some dark residue on bottom of kettle - maybe burned some wort? I’m using a direct flame propane burner, should I get a metal plate to more evenly distribute the heat?

For grains, both mash and steeping - there’s a lot of ‘dust’ left from milling. Should this go in the wort, or should I beat the socks until no more dust? I noticed a lot of filter clogging, especially from the mini mash. I have a mesh colander, and then a fine screen that’s in the funnel. Colander gets most of the hops and screen just clogs, assume its from the fines and not hops mostly.

I read the beer bible (got two, read them both) - remember something about when to add things and why, can’t find it. Understand with hops how different adds give different flavors, smells, but with extracts and other things, is there a method? For the kolsch I put DME in later on the boil, but the Belgian, all the fermentables went in at the beginning.

I’m kegging these batches. Is there a difference between putting priming sugar in the kegs and just howling up CO2? Both methods are talked about here and elsewhere - but I’d the final result the same? Or should I just try both and see which I like better?

My keggerator is empty and I am going to not buy more beer - going completely home brew - but it only fits two corny kegs (never thought I’d be doing this so didn’t find one with room for 3) - can I keep the standby kegs carb’d and room temp or will that impact the beer (other than making it not available)?

Thanks

Dave

Back