1st Cider Attempt - Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I am planning to make my wife a cider. This will be my first ever attempt. The process looks pretty straightforward but I am curious what yeast out of my personal bank experienced folks might recommend. My wife doesn't really like beer. She does like dry sparkling wines such as Cava, Prosecco, etc. Yeast I have on hand:

I don't have temp control; ambient temperature in the summer months is around 75F.

Possibilities are Munton's Standard Ale, US-05, and Danstar Belle Saison dry yeasts; WLP500, WY3711, or WY3726; or cultures from Bell's Two Hearted, Ommegang Hennepin, and De Ranke XX Bitter. What would you choose and why?

I'd go with Muntons or US05, or whichever of the WLP's listed is the lowest attenuating to get the dry character you're looking for (or she, rather). I say this because they'll be the cleanest and just leave the cider plain and apple-y Avoid the saison yeasts since they'll probably give more "beer" flavor that she won't enjoy. Perhaps grab a swamp cooler since temp control is out, but I suppose 75 would be okay in a pinch.

Ended up going with the saison yeast, using a jug of Whole Foods organic cider. The cider is very cloudy. I was hoping it would clear during the fermentation process but it has not cleared at all. I do not have pectic enzyme on hand but I read that papaya peel is a good substitute. The cider has been fermenting for almost three weeks although it is still bubbling steadily. Should I do anything to sanitize the papaya peel or just add it straight?

I wouldn't bother with the pectic enzyme. The cider will begin to clear after fermentation has ended. Its will clear even more with a racking and cold crash. The last cloudy cider i made is now crystal clear and i didn't even cold crash it.

Yea, just give it time. It'll clear eventually. I use pectin enzyme and cold crash mine but it still takes time with that as well.

I've used S-04 and S-05 in store bought pasteurized apple juice.

The S-05 gave me a dry, low body result with a hint of Chardonnay and the S-04 gave off a peachy note. Both times I fermented at temps around 61-65F, then put in the refrigerator to help clarify faster. It was cheap and an experiment made mostly for cooking and getting a handle on making homemade cider vinegar.

Latest posts

Back