1st BIAB issues/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumpyAZ

Reaction score
Been brewing for about a year and decided it was time to make the jump to all grain. So, after a lot of reading and prep, I brewed my first two batches using BIAB. Everything went well and I pretty much hit all of my numbers spot on. However, I had a little issue with the mash temps but I'm not sure if I'm being to anal and over analyzing things. I planned to mash at 150 and hit this dead on initially. I used two thermometers to check the temp throughout the mash, a lab thermometer measuring temp in the bottom of the kettle and a digital probe (which I previously tested to read within 1 degree of the lab thermometer) near the surface of the mash. The kettle was kept in the oven on low to maintain consistent temps which was very effective. For the first batch, I stirred once half way through and during most of the mash the temp at the bottom was 152 but 147 at the top. The second batch I stirred three times during the mash. The temps were more consistent throughout the mash, typically 150 at the bottom and 147 at the top. Is this type of variation typical for the average mash? Or should I be looking for a more consistent temp no matter what depth of the mash I'm measuring at?

I also did a mashout on both batches heating the kettle to 170 on the stove after the mash period was done. For the first batch, I put the lid on the pot to start the mashout but forgot to turn off the burner. 5 minutes in, I realized the burner was still on and checked the temp which was 180. I turned off the burner and stirred well, the temp quickly dropped to 170 and I covered it back up until the mashout was over. Do I need to be worried about tannis or anything else since the grain was exposed to higher temps for a few minutes?

Finally, I mis-measured my preboil volume one the second batch. I had to top off slightly by sparging to get to the proper height as measured with a stainless steel ruler. But after doing so, I realized I had left the cooling rack I used to keep the bag off the bottom in the pot while I made my measurement so I ended up with about a half gallon more volume than I thought I had. I decided to just proceed instead of trying to boil it off. So, my pre-boil gravity was a bit lower than expected. Is there a way to calculate what it would have been if I had the correct volume in the kettle? Thought I had seen a calculator to do this but can't find the site now. Thanks!

Try to stir the mash more frequently to keep mash temperatures more consistent. This is especially important in the first half hour or so, when most of the starch conversion is taking place. I try to stir every 5 minutes or so during that first half hour.
As far as the over shoot on the mashout tempurature, I have done that my self a few times with no ill effect.

I never stir my mash. But, the key is, when I dough in, I stir like it owes me money. I think check the temperature in several areas, and if it's different, I stir some more. Once the temperature is equalized throughout, then I'm done stirring. I'ts really that easy!

Try to stir the mash more frequently to keep mash temperatures more consistent. This is especially important in the first half hour or so, when most of the starch conversion is taking place. I try to stir every 5 minutes or so during that first half hour.
As far as the over shoot on the mashout tempurature, I have done that my self a few times with no ill effect.

I find that the temp will drop a couple degrees or so in about 15 minutes, so I break my mash up into 15 minute intervals and add heat while stirring for a couple minutes to bring it back to temp, then let it go for another 15m and repeat until the step is done. Not a big deal, really.

Temp stratification is normal and there's not much you can do about it aside from setting up a re-circ system. I don't worry about it, personally.

The last couple I have left on the stove top and stirred and checked the temperature a couple of times. I added some heat about half way through.

When I used the oven, I stirred it very well as Yooper suggested, then left it alone. It only dropped a couple of degrees and turned out fine.

When I use my cooler mash tun I sometime get 3-5 degrees drop in an hour. The beers always turn out fine.

I feel you are over thinking things.

I do the same as Yooper, except that I don't check the mash temp in multiple places. But I dough in thoroughly, with a wooden mash paddle that has holes drilled through it. And I literally time myself before I look at my mash tun thermometer. If I miss my temp by more than 2 degrees then I will add hot or cold water and stir some more. Then I cover it and ignore it.
The one time this didn't work out for me was when I used a long spoon instead of a mash paddle, hit temp but 20 min later I saw it jump 5 degrees.

I brewed a Citra Double IPA today. I was aiming for a 3g batch size and both an online calculator and BeerSmith told me to start with approx 5.1g. Well, I just got this into the fermenter and I'm only a little over 2g, maybe around two and a quarter. I was really excited for this recipe so I'm kinda bummed at the little lost beer!

First off, what part of the calculations need adjusting most of the time? Was my grain absorbtion higher then expected? Or was the boil off more? I'm not sure how I lost almost 3/4 of a gallon already.

Second, is there any harm in boiling a gallon of water and adding this into my fermenter? Will I just end up lowering the alcohol %?

No harm in adding top off water to the fermenter. What is your OG?

To find out where the calcs are off you need to measure pre-boil volume and pre-boil gravity, as well as post-boil volume and post-boil gravity.

After the mash is complete, if you find you're having trouble making your pre-boil volume (or find that you have too much volume), you would increase (or decrease) the grain absorption factor in BS. If the volume is fine, but pre-boil gravity is low, then you would decrease the expected brewhouse efficiency in BS or make adjustments to your process to improve your actual efficiency. Post-boil, if volume is too low or too high, then you would modify your boil-off rate in BS accordingly. Record these numbers and make the necessary adjustments for about 3 brews in a row and you should have everything pretty well dialed in.

LLBean - thanks.

Bumpy, sorry, my reply was suppose to be in a new thread. I think I was reading yours and thought I was starting a new thread, but apparently not! and I haven't even cracked a beer yet. ugh

Checking the OG shortly

Latest posts

Back