11th Day Fermentation Hydrometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWWard03

Reaction score
Hi all. My Northern Brewer Block Party Amber Ale is on day 11 of fermentation. The original gravity of the wort was 1.032 which was lower than the 1.042 projected on the recipe sheet and some attributed that to me not stirring or shaking up the mixture after adding 1 1/2 gallons to equal the 5. Today the hydrometer reading was 1.002, which using the projected OG gives me a 5.25% ABV, but a 3.94% on the actual readings. Can I pretty much call it done? Most of the "foam" is gone from the surface and it smells good.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
From the picture it actually looks like you're at 1.004...you also have some nice yeasts rafts there on top.

My guess is you're done...I would go ahead and package!

:mug:

Although you can't be sure based on the number of days, I've never had a batch ferment for that long. For me, fermentation is complete within a week. But to be absolutely certain, you need to take readings a day or two apart. Once they plateau, fermentation is complete.

The only way to be sure is to confirm consecutive hydrometer readings at least a day apart are the same. Otherwise you run the risk of overcarbonating your beer in the bottle, or worse - bottle bombs.

Oh, and your hydrometer reading there is about 1.004 (if you're reading it near the calibrated temperature). If the beer is 5-10F warmer than the hydrometer's calibrated temperature (typically 60F), add 0.001 to the reading.

Here we go. Fingers crossed for no bottle bombs. Do they need to be conditioned in a relatively warm place as well?

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back