10 Gallon Cooler + Carboy with Glycol Chilling from Minifridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneInTheHand

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this out before I start my build, it makes sense to me, but input is always helpful. I have two 10 gallon coolers for mlt/hlt and it seems like they should be used more than just on brew day. I also have a mini fridge with separate freezer compartment.

- Drill holes and places bulkheads in the rear of the the freezer section (no coils in the rear).
- Put a heat exchange in the freezer compartment.
- Pump glycol through the heat exchange
- Place my 5/6.5 gallon glass carboy in the 10 gallon cooler, drill hole in lid or just use blankets around the top exposed area
- Pump glycol solution around the neck of the carboy, such that it cascades down the sides, pools at the bottom, and then drains out and back to the chiller
- Pump being a small aquarium type pump.
- Control pump with a basic inkbird controller.

For the heat exchange I was thinking either just a whole ton of cheap tubing or an actual heat exchanger like used in a furnace, hydronic heating, or small atv/motorcycle raidator.

Leaning towards something like:

https://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.co...nger-hot-water-coil-outdoor-wood-furnace.html

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
George

Latest posts

Back