German Pils vs Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I am looking into a few things and came across the differences of German Pilsner and Munich Helles. I understand that the pilsner has more of a hop bitterness than the helles and I also understand the yeast difference between the two beers.

However, I have my problems when it comes to the different explanations regarding malt. According to BJCP, both call for pilsner malt. The question for me is, how much pilsner malt is in a traditional German pilsner (100%?) and how much pilsner malt is in a traditional helles? I found tons of different sources online; some call for only German pilsner malt in a helles, some call for a mix (undefined ratio) of German pilsner malt and Munich malt, and some say Munich malt only. Well, what’s the case by definition? Most sense makes German pils malt and Munich malt but is that right?

Latest posts

Back