Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > PM Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default PM Oatmeal Stout

I tried DeathBrewer's partial mash method this afternoon (thanks DeathBrewer for all the help ). I did an oatmeal stout recipe from iXanadu (thanks iXanadu for the updates ). Things went well. Here's the recipe I used:

4 lbs. 2-row
2 lbs. Oats
1 lb. Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs. Victory Malt
.75 lbs. Roasted Barley
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt
2 lbs. DME (1 lb. amber, 1 lb. dark)
2 oz. Golding hops
1 WLP 002 English Ale

I mashed the grains in 3 gallons of water at between 149 and 151 for an hour. Man, 9-pounds of wet grain is HEAVY!! My arms and back were burning. I than added it to 175 degree sparge water (just barely fit in my brew pot). I ended up with close to 4 gallons I think. The boil started a bit slow since I was brewing on the kitchen stove (10 inches of snow in Cleveland). I don't have a scale so I had to eyeball the 2 oz. of hops (did 1.5 oz at the start of the boil and .5 oz. with 20-minutes left). Cooled in an ice bath in about 30 minutes and pitched the started after mixing the wort between two buckets.

Overall, a pretty good brewday!!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
hotstack
Recipes 

Please keep us informed. I have been planning a toasted oatmeal + brown ale recipe that I got from the book Radical Brewing. I too am planning on the DeathBrewer partial mash when I get my act together and get the ingredients together... tons of substitutions are needed due to lack of stuff available in Japan

I will not clog up your thread with my questions and instead will open my own when the time is right.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I'd be interested in your results too. I plan to brew an Oatmeal Stout the weekend after this weekend. Here's my tentative recipe:

8# Maris Otter Pale
1# Roasted Barley
1# Crystal 60LV
1/2# Flaked Barley
1/2# Flaked Oats

2-step infusion mash with a Beta Glucan rest @ 110 degrees F.

.5 oz. Cascade whole for 60 min.
.5 oz Saaz pellet for 60 min.
.25 oz Willamette whole for 20 min.
.25 oz. Willamette whole for 10 min.
.25 oz. Willamette whole for 2 min.

1 vial White Labs Irish Ale yeast with starter.

I'm still not sure how much bitterness/flavor/aroma hops to use...and since I always put brown sugar on my oatmeal I was considering a tiny addition of brown sugar.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Johnny9
Recipes 

I have been tapping into my Samual Smith's Oatmeat Stout clone for about a week now and seriously can't believe how good it is. I got the reciept out of Beer Clones. I also used Death Brewers stovetop PM method!!!

As I type I am tasting my brew side by side with the original. It is very close, I highly recommend it!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I haven't had any signs of fermentation yet I pitched on Sunday. I am not sure the optimum temp for WLP002. I have it between 65 and 70. Is this too high? I'm anxious about this one because I really like stouts and want this to turn out well. By the way, my SG was 1.057, a bit off the 1.060 I was shooting for.

Any help on the fermentation would be welcomed.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, you underpitched, for one thing. Long lag times are pretty common. A vial of White Labs yeast has about 100 billion cells; you needed about 270 billion.

If nothing happens tomorrow, I'd get a packet of S-04 or something.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I pitched a starter that I made two days before. Maybe I didn't give the starter enough time. I have two packets of Safale US 05, can I just rehydrate one and throw it in? Would that effect the WLP 002?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You pitched a starter? Day-um. Was the starter active and foamy and stuff?

If you get no activity by breakfast Wednesday, I'd say pitch the S-05 and write the 002 off.

Sorry, dude!

Bob

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9 View Post
I have been tapping into my Samual Smith's Oatmeat Stout clone for about a week now and seriously can't believe how good it is. I got the reciept out of Beer Clones. I also used Death Brewers stovetop PM method!!!

As I type I am tasting my brew side by side with the original. It is very close, I highly recommend it!

Any chance you could post the recipe for us? I have been looking for a clone of that beer...best beer ever!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The starter I pitched must not have been ready yet, cause I still have nothing fermenting as of this afternoon. So, I pitched a packet of Safale 05 directly to the wort (I didn't rehydrate). We'll see what happens. Could this get the WLP 002 going again and get the flavor benefits of it still?