How does a 170 degree Mini Mash work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I wrote about a mini mash that zoomed up to 170 for 10 minutes before I could get it cooled off.

Yet when all was said and done the OG came out almost perfect and the FG was right on. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!

I understood the process but a stupid glass top stove is not the perfect instrument for temperature control. My question was HOW did this come out.

Now I know.

My first clue was yesterday when my thermometer zoomed to 170 again. I moved it around the pot and it zoomed back to a comfortable 158 within seconds. It seems if I left the instrument in one place it would heat up. Move it a few inches and it would cool down.

Then I checked it for accuracy. Boiling was indeed 212, but put it in a bowl of ice water where it's 90% ice and 10% water it would read 40 degrees. hmmmmmm

This tells me at SOME POINT it measures too warm.

So my 170 degree is probably NOT 170 for the entire pot of grains but only in that tiny micro climate.

I must search for a better thermometer.

I have been having the same kind of problem, I had the bite the bullet and fork out a dollar for a new one

yes i had the same thing happen to me also ,,i sprang for a new digi therm with a stainless steel leed..oh what a difference.

Back