irish moss and lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dubicus:
I don't see why you can't use irish moss....I personally use whirlfloc tablets in the last 10 minutes of the boil for all my lagers, why...? its only because I've always used it with great success.......Whirlfloc is just a blend of Irish moss and purified carrageenan.....
hope this helps...
Zack

Couple of questions about irish moss proper usage:

1. How much? 1 or 2 spoons for batch?
2. How long to rehydrate - 20min? overnight?
3. Boiling time - 10, 20 min?

I never use Irish moss (or Whirlfloc) in Lagers... not that there's anything wrong with it. I just think it's unnecessary. My lagers come out VERY clear. (I don't filter either.) The only less-than-clear lagers I've had were due to mash temps (rests) inappropriate for the malt. But I've fixed all that now. Lagering for the appropriate time really clears up a beer as long as mash temps were appropriate for the malt. (I do use Whirlfloc for ales.)

However, I will put in a disclaimer that I've only ever made lagers with pilsner as a base malt. So, I don't know how 2-row, etc. would do with clarity, but I don't think it would be much different.

1 tsp for the last 15 minutes of the boil. No need to rehydrate, just dump it in the boil kettle.

Back