FairbanksBrewinGirl's New Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairbanksBrewinNoob

Reaction score
Hi All, been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I'm FairbanksBrewinGirl's boyfriend, and i've caught the brewing bug!

Anyway, we recently picked up a kegerator for her beers (and the one she recently helped me to brew--ok, ok, she did all the hard work) and when we got it home it looked so small and lonely sitting down there at the far end of our living room that I decided that there was only one right thing to do... Build a bar.

So 5 days and a couple hundred dollars in materials later, i'm done, and i have to admit, it looks pretty sweet. I thought i'd post it for you all to see.

Its 8' long, and 42.5" tall at teh bar top. I made a 2x2 frame, faced it with bambroo flooring, and then covered the plywood/2x2 bartop in imitation slate vinyl tiles. I would have loved to have used real tile, but was worried that if I did, I may never be able to move the thing again :)...

Underneath is BrewinGirl's kegerator hooked to the draft tower dispensing cold delicious Suzie Q Brewing Co. beers. I'm getting ready to build a tower chiller to keep the beer lines cold, but right now they are just insulated with pipe wraps.

Anyway, you guys come here for the beer pr0n, so without further adeiu, here are the pics:

2798645376_ac637abd26_o.jpg

2798645224_ee37bf73f7_o.jpg

Oh and one more thing, BrewinGirl is too humble to tell you, but her Imperial Chocolate Stout just won a blue ribbon at the Tanana Valley State Fair. W00t w00T. Go brewingirl, go!

Damn, that is one killer of a bar. Very classy!!!!! The ribbon is also a great thing! Sounds like you guys have a brewing team. :mug:

honestly, I haven't finished the trim on back yet, but that's on tap for today so when I'm done I'll throw up some pics.

Finished up some trim on the back today, here's a pic:
backofbar.jpg

Still have some work to do finishing up the corners so they are presentable, but the back of the bar will remain largely unfinished, since we are just storing beer-gear back there, and no one important is allowed behind the bar :)

Two more kegs arrived today too....can't wait to put the pirate ale in them!
:mug:

I'm still cinfused about this.
Where are the slate tiles on the bartop?

I don't see bamboo either.

The whole bar top is covered by 12" x 12" vinyl tiles, in a multi-colored slate-like finish. It's not as nice as real slate, but the weight is much more reasonable- important since we rent our home and will one day want to move this monstrosity.

The front and sides of the bar are covered by bamboo hardwood flooring in a "spice" finish, which is why they look darker than typical bamboo in the pics. Still bamboo though, which was a PITA to drill through...that stuff is strong.

We haven't decided how to finish the back yet...may install some premade cabinetry or sliding shelves, or just leave it unfinished, since my beer-gear fits as is. Or maybe we will finish it better when it's somewhere more permanent.

Anyway, I'm still impressed this came together at all...I have to confess my trust in HWMBO's carpentry skills was less than 100% :D

Very classy looking! +1 for turning the taps to the front. Since the back is for storage you could just throw a couple stools in front and pour pints from there instead of having to run to the back.

I made some tap handles for BrewinGirl's bar. The labels are replaceable, so when we switch out the kegs, we can change the label without changing the whole handle.

2815960154_03fe41121f_o.jpg

I was torn on which way to face the taps too, but eventually went with the back of the bar since its not hard to pour even from this side, and when we have people over its kind of fun to be able to have 3-4 of our friends sitting on stools on one side of the bar without one perso hogging the taps :)

BTW, has anyone here bought bar stools recently? Im not sure if its just because i live in Alaska and get raped on shipping charges, but ZOMG 4 bar stools should not cost more than the entire bar. Srsly.

At some point this weekend, I'll try to post pics of the back of my bar. I built shelves in, laid that mesh squishy stuff down and added Ikea lights...

But, as you said, if you're renting you might not want to add the weight right now. But I'd love to give you ideas!

Let me get this straight...your GF taught you how to brew? And she has won 1st place ribbons for her beer?

Does she have a sister...or a clone? :eek:

I showed you my taphandles, right? When I did mine I was trying to figure out the same thing, then I realized I could just glue two of the wooden plaque things together and make it 2-sided:

IMG_1022.jpg

Obviously you can't see the back, but you get the idea - I put identical labels on both sides.

Wow, nice work. I like the uncluttered design. This gives me an idea for the extra bamboo we'll have leftover after redoing our floors this spring...

Latest posts

Back