I Love Whisky, Who else? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I Love Whisky, Who else?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #31
flowerysong

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
But that's not the way it's supposed to be. That's just others ripping off the scots.
Not really. In the early to mid 1800s 'whisky' beat out 'whiskey', 'whiskee' and 'whiskie' and was close to being the preferred spelling everywhere. But then around the 1880s Irish distillers began adding the 'e' to better distinguish their products from the inferior Scotch whiskies (a process which wasn't completed until around 1960, by which time Scotch whiskies weren't particularly inferior).

'"Whiskey" is Irish or American and "whisky" is everything else' is much closer to the truth. Sure, a lot of those places have borrowed from the highly influential Scottish distilling tradition, but (particularly in the case of Canadian whisky) they still produce distinct products.

India was the ringer on my list, as while I believe they do prefer the 'whisky' spelling most of what that label is applied to could more correctly be called 'rum'.

I also neglected to mention Sweden, though their sole whisky thus far (Mackmyra) is indeed very reminiscent of Scotch.

Oh, and even in the US the government has decided that the official spelling is 'whisky', but out of respect for tradition distillers are still allowed to label their products with the variant spelling. Personally, I think it's high time we stop enshrining historical peculiarities and embrace the modern age of standardised spelling.
Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #32
nostalgia
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Port Murray, NJ
Liked 97 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNative View Post
Scotch - Glenfiddich, (I don't know much about fine Scotch's)
Try what I do: walk into the liquor store, amble over to the single malt section, find your price range and pick out something you've never tried.

My favorite thing about single malt Scotches is the wide variation in flavors. Sometimes even within the same product. It makes every drink a fun experience; what am I going to taste this time?

If you were to hand a non-Scotch drinker a glass of Lagavulin, a glass of The Dalmore Cigar Malt and a glass of Dalwhinnie, that person might have a hard time believing they're all Scotch. "But I don't like whisky! This one tastes like caramel, yum."

-Joe

Progress is always up on my Facebook page

Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #33
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong View Post
Not really. In the early to mid 1800s 'whisky' beat out 'whiskey', 'whiskee' and 'whiskie' and was close to being the preferred spelling everywhere. But then around the 1880s Irish distillers began adding the 'e' to better distinguish their products from the inferior Scotch whiskies (a process which wasn't completed until around 1960, by which time Scotch whiskies weren't particularly inferior).

'"Whiskey" is Irish or American and "whisky" is everything else' is much closer to the truth. Sure, a lot of those places have borrowed from the highly influential Scottish distilling tradition, but (particularly in the case of Canadian whisky) they still produce distinct products.

India was the ringer on my list, as while I believe they do prefer the 'whisky' spelling most of what that label is applied to could more correctly be called 'rum'.

I also neglected to mention Sweden, though their sole whisky thus far (Mackmyra) is indeed very reminiscent of Scotch.

Oh, and even in the US the government has decided that the official spelling is 'whisky', but out of respect for tradition distillers are still allowed to label their products with the variant spelling. Personally, I think it's high time we stop enshrining historical peculiarities and embrace the modern age of standardised spelling.
Well, my spellchecker keeps telling me I can't even say whisky without it reprimanding me!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
jpsloan
Recipes 

Nov 2006
New Market, MD
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Technically, Jack Daniels is classified as a "Tennessee Sour Mash"... which is to say that it meets the four criteria for a spirit to be classified as a "bourbon", plus an added fifth criterion that it be refiltered through charcoaled logs.

Though admittedly, Jack Daniels distillery is the one who invented this classification of spirit, specifically to compete with Jim Beam, so take that for what it's worth.

All of this I learned from Jimmy Bedford, former master distiller at JD, when he did a seminar on the three kinds of spirits they sell. The man signed my single barrel bottle... he was a good guy. Alas, he's retired now, but still a good memory for me.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #35
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I grew up in a Jameson household so yeah, I like me the whiskey. I am partial to Irish and Scotch.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #36
bottleopener
Recipes 

May 2008
Jinan, China
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bushmill's 16yo is my favorite... far beyond delicious.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #37
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

If I'm going the scotch whisky direction, I've been liking some Bunnahabhain lately. Not quite as overly peaty-smoky as some, but still pretty strong peat character.

As for Bourbon, well, what's my name? That'd be my rail bourbon, the gold-cap stuff. For the higher end, I alternate, but for my money, you can't beat Evan Williams Single Barrel for like $25/750mL.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
skinfiddler

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Columbus, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong View Post

"whisky" is the accepted variant. I'm sure anyone will know what you are writing about.