Rate of Apfelwein Production Hits New High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayMeister

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I put together a spreadsheet tracking Apfelwein production, as listed in another thread in this group, while consuming a couple of home brews. I updated it this morning when we hit 7,500 gallons and it looks like we have ramped up production a little. It looks like we could hit 10,000 by the end of the year.

Ed, this stuff must be great. Waiting another month is going to kill me.

Paul

Apfelwein.jpg

Nice! Everyone needs to have 20 gallons going so that we can all sample the 5-6 month goodness.

that's the whole reason I got it going a month ago. Want is drinkable by christmas. Gonna have to start some more. I just stores so easily that you can stash it all over the house.

I just stores so easily that you can stash it all over the house.

FYI...The Toilet tank makes a nice water bath cooling system for 1 gallon batches! :D

And Target has the best price on Juice....Even in these tough times, Mine is costing right at 21 cents per 6 oz serving....so how much is that when I fill my 22 oz Big Beer Glass? Don't know....don't care.
:tank:

that's the whole reason I got it going a month ago. Want is drinkable by christmas. Gonna have to start some more. I just stores so easily that you can stash it all over the house.

And it's so cheap to make. I get 12 1.2 liter cans of Juice for $8.28 on sale about once a month. These 14.4 liters fit perfectly into 15 liter PET water bottles I get for $2.99. Add another $1.00 for the sugar and $0.50 for yeast and all it costs me is $11.77 a batch for everything including the fermenter!

I've been starting one of these a month.

Paul

Frys had a crazy deal going on a few weeks ago, well city market for you.

Half gallons of apple juice 10 for 10. $2 a gallon was outstanding I thought.

LayMeister, you did a masterful job on those graphs. I appreciate this kind of effort, especially when it illustrates how we can have our own JFK moment, only instead of landing a man on the moon, we can produce 10,000 gallons of EdWort's by Christmas!

Just like the Apollo programs brought us valuable technological advances, improving the lives of all people, our Apfelwein program will undoubtedly improve the lives of all the people who imbibe by bringing them together, drunk, and most likely naked in the end.

Hi ho.

LayMeister, you did a masterful job on those graphs. I appreciate this kind of effort, especially when it illustrates how we can have our own JFK moment, only instead of landing a man on the moon, we can produce 10,000 gallons of EdWort's by Christmas!

Just like the Apollo programs brought us valuable technological advances, improving the lives of all people, our Apfelwein program will undoubtedly improve the lives of all the people who imbibe by bringing them together, drunk, and most likely naked in the end.

Hi ho.

It sounds like a line has been drawn in the sand - 10K by Christmas. I plan to do my part!

Paul

I was thinking the exact same thing. Guess I will have to do my part as well. After all, I wouldn't want you to have to shoulder all of this responsibility by yourself.

You are too kind...now off to Target/Costco to price 10 gallons of apple juice.

I have 2 batches going right now, but they are variations of Ed's original recipe so I'm in for another 10 gals...

I have the fixin's for another batch on hand...but I'm trying to figure out what other flavor would go good with apple...?? ;)

well i can get half gallons of juice for 2.19 and i have another 4 5 gallon carboys. will 30 gallons of this headache giver be enough for my part?

I have 2 batches going right now, but they are variations of Ed's original recipe so I'm in for another 10 gals...

I have the fixin's for another batch on hand...but I'm trying to figure out what other flavor would go good with apple...?? ;)

I had too much cherry wine for my 3 gallon secondary bottle, so I just started 3 gallons of Apfelwein right on top of the quart or so of leftover cherry in the primary bucket. At first I thought it would ferment without additional yeast, but after a day of nothing I gave it some 71B and off it went.

I have no idea if any cherry will come through at all.

Someone should try flavoring Apfelwein with banana.

Just checked the last few days production. Now up to 25 gallons a day! At this rate not only will we hit 10K by Christmas, but we'll be drinking it as well. :rockin:

Paul

I'm afraid I'm only going to be good for another 5 gallons, maybe 10 at most for the rest of this year. I just won't have anywhere to put it as I don't keg (maybe someday) and no empty bottles and I'm trying to age most of what I already have.

Five gallons started last night.. It's finally bubbling this morning. I panicked and put in a second packet of yeast, because I got no action for the first 3 hours. I probably should have waited it out, but seems to be going fine now-

jesus, I remember when 2000 was a big deal, and now we are talking about 10,000

Maybe a wee bit of molasses? Or ginger? Just a thought. Regards, GF. :)

I always like vanilla ice cream on apple pie... so I'd go with some cinnamon and then split a vanilla bean or two.

At the current rate of production (22.72 gallons/day) we will hit 10,000 gallons on December 14. :tank: Ed is the man!

Apfelwein.jpg

i will do my part even if i have to convert the bathtub or steal the neighbors kiddie pool! should have another five gallons going within the week and another five once i get another carboy

Well....This thread needs to be bumped every few hours! We really need to get people excited about this, and get it into full swing!

Every gallon helps, so buy your sister an airlock and a rubber!

(Stopper that is)

Get your grand mother a batch going, and let's rack these gallons up! I'm in for at least another 10 gallons before the end of the year!

ill pledge another 10 gallons before the new year. I got a another batch starting up here when my lemonade is done.

I make wine, wine and even half decent wine, but every time someone invites me over, its "bring some of that cider stuff that made me black out again. man that stuff is awesome"

oh well... its cheap and good!!!

Now making over 26 gallons a day. Projection is now December 6'th for 10K! :rockin:

I'm going to try and have 5 gallons MINIMUM in for that.
IF I pull my head out and get a batch kegged, I'm in for 5 more on top of that! We'll just have to see how the evenings go this week!

Back