BierMunchers Rolling Kegerator (BYO Published)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Portable Kegerator is underway...

Well, the anniversary party is 3 1/2 weeks away and I'm on the hook to bring and serve up three kegs of beer (Cream Ale, Irish Red Ale and maybe my sterling Gold).

A while back I posted this concept...wanting something better than just the usual picnic taps and cornies in an ice bucket.
garbage_Kegger.jpg

Well I have time to decide on exactly the model of garbage can I use :D but primary to the project was putting together a good CO2 dispensing system. Rather than dismantle one of my two CO2 systems at home I figured that the Kobalt Portable CO2 system would work well, and owning a pneumatic stapler and brad nailer, I could put it to good (normal) use around the house anyway.

Anyway, here's Phase I of the Rolling Kegerator system:

The basic kit comes with one empty 9Oz bottle inside the package, and then they give one 9Oz full bottle included in the price ($84.00)
I went ahead and purchased a one pound bottle as well, knowing I'd use it one way or another.

I also picked up some fittings for the hose connection:
Rolling_Kegger1.jpg

Picked up a barb fitting and an additional male quick connect.
Rolling_Kegger2.jpg

I'm not worried about different serving PSI so I just installed a splitter for three gas lines. I also installed a check valve in the main line. Note the black electrical tape around the ends. I didn't like the tightness of the fit I got when I clamped down the otikers, so I built up the thickness of the hose with about 8" of tape. The clamps have a nice solid bite now.
Rolling_Kegger3.jpg

Here, everything is ready to hook up. Notice the thread tape on the splitter. I actually decided against this, thinking that I would lose the "bite" of those barbs and didn't want to risk a disconnect.
Rolling_Kegger4.jpg

More to follow....

Here are the lines completely assembled. I gave everything a good underwater test once I hooked up the gas:
Rolling_Kegger5.jpg

Now it's time to test dispensing. I hooked up to a room temperature, flat keg (one of six) that is conditioning in the brew shop.
Rolling_Kegger6.jpg

Notice the PSI reading is zero. I actually know that these regulators don't read real accurate at low PSI's, so I just dialed up the gas until I heard it flowing and held it there....but the gauge did not register.
Rolling_Kegger7.jpg

Regardless of a non-reading on the gauge, you can see it's a nice smooth pour from a flat keg.
Rolling_Kegger8.jpg

I decided to move the rig over to the kegerator and try serving off of a chilled, carb'd keg. Again....a perfect pour. (My next project is to swap out these 4' lines for 8' :D)
Rolling_Kegger9.jpg

I've got two of those stainless crosses and don't use any tape at all. Just worm clamps and no leaks. Smart move on the check valve.

I use oetiker clamps, they are really nice, but I don't know what the black stuff is, maybe he had clamps that were too large so put another piece of thin hose over the connections before clamping?

I was wondering what the black stuff was also. I usually get hose that's just one size too small for the barb so it's really tough to get on and off and then clamp it if it's permanent.

I use oetiker clamps, they are really nice, but I don't know what the black stuff is, maybe he had clamps that were too large so put another piece of thin hose over the connections before clamping?

Electrical tape.

Yeah...I wasn't comfortable with the lack of a real tight clamp-down with those oetiker clamps so I wrapped a about an 8" inch strip of electrical tape around the outside of the tubing to thicken the walls up a bit and get a lot tighter clasp.

Electrical tape.

Yeah...I wasn't comfortable with the lack of a real tight clamp-down with those oetiker clamps so I wrapped a about an 8" inch strip of electrical tape around the outside of the tubing to thicken the walls up a bit and get a lot tighter clasp.

Okie dokie. It gives it a professional look on camera. Way to go Muncher! (I can't call you BM for short, my Mom was an RN).

Great idea, both the CO2 system and the trash can. If so desired, I bet you could take that regulator housing apart and swap the gauge out for a lower pressure scale version. Then again, I guess that would make it harder to dial in for nailing apps and afterall you got it flowing great with just a guess. Anyway, I'm just saying it's probably not a proprietary gauge.

Please post pics of your neighbors faces the next time you have a party and they're pulling pints out of a garbage can! :D

Great idea, BM!

I went to a homebrew party back in March and there was a guy there with this same setup. He had 4 taps out the front and a drip tray bolted onto it too. It looked like it worked great. I'm not sure if he insolated it or not, I did not look inside, he had some boxes sitting on top of it with growlers in them.
I would think that you could line it with some foam insolation or expanding foam to help keep the kegs cold with ice or ice packs.

For a party that lasts several hours, I doubt you would need to insulate the can. The ice will easily last that long. Probably takes a few bags though, just to cover the kegs!

I don't think you'd need to cover the kegs completely. I have not taken a corny to a party yet but since the beer is pulled from the bottom, and there is only a very thin sheet of stainless between the beer and the ice, I think you'd cool the beer quick enough just by having the keg half covered with ice, though if it gets near empty you may have issues with them floating.

I would drill a drain hole in the bottom of that puppy and put some type of valve there.

I will be very unwieldy when full water from melted ice.

Also, it will need probably at least 50# of ice to pack the kegs.

I'm looking forward to the YouTube video of it in action with the BierMuncher signing off with his famous BM signature wave! :D

While a drain is nice, it isn't necessary. I've got a cart made out of the base of a gas grill, insulated with 2" foam board and lined with a kiddie pool to hold the ice and not drip (holds 4 kegs). When I need to take the water out I just break out the shop vac and suck it out! Works quite well. A valve would be nice, and not to difficult to install on a garbage can, but would be a pain to install in my cart.

The basic kit comes with one empty 9Oz bottle inside the package, and then they give one 9Oz full bottle included in the price ($84.00)
I went ahead and purchased a one pound bottle as well, knowing I'd use it one way or another.

I also picked up some fittings for the hose connection:
View attachment 6109

Ill be picking one of these up for the new fermenter. It can be pressurized for wort transfer.

Looking good BM, looking real good! :rockin:

I would drill a drain hole in the bottom of that puppy and put some type of valve there.

I will be very unwieldy when full water from melted ice.

Also, it will need probably at least 50# of ice to pack the kegs.

Way ahead of you.

Walmart... $1.00
Rolling_Kegger92_Drain.jpg

I plan on loosely lining the interior walls with 1 1/2 stiff foam board for insulation...just using some two-sided tape to hold the foam board against the walls.

Then I'll line the interior with a 55 gallon, construction grade plastic bag....maybe two.

Then finally, I'll cut another piece of foam board the shape of the opening and lay it inside to insulate the top...then on goes the lid.

This should keep the interior cold enough that just a 1/3 to 1/2 fill with ice will keep everything cold...including the lines.

This thing will be parked in the shade for an evening event...so it should be pretty efficient.

Way ahead of you.

Walmart... $1.00

<SNIP>

This should keep the interior cold enough that just a 1/3 to 1/2 fill with ice will keep everything cold...including the lines.

This thing will be parked in the shade for an evening event...so it should be pretty efficient.

Who are you and what have you done with BierMuncher?!?!?!?!?!

Who are you and what have you done with BierMuncher?!?!?!?!?!

:D SWMBO is out of town for two weeks so I guess I can divert my...er...um...energy towards something else...

Here's a dry fit look without the insulation. Kind of tight but still enough room for at least a 1" foam liner. I'll probably build a small 2x4 frame for the bottom to level the kegs out...but if I had to show up tomorrow...this could be ready to roll.

Rolling_Kegger93_DryFit.jpg

We're all going to be very disappointed if the end product looks professional in any way, shape or form. :D

For the love of God, at least cut the holes for your shanks with a steak knife or something. This is starting to look far too professional. :ban:

BM,

You keep this up and you will need to change your tag-line to something other than "...My junk is ugly..."

That rolling keggerator looks awesome!! A great idea too. I have a number of events I am invited to every year where a couple of cornies of good beverages would be greatly appreciated. Your device looks like it would be absolutely perfect.

Let us all know how it works on its first run.

Cake

Holes are lined up, marked and drilled....BierMuncher style. :D
Rolling_Kegger94.jpg

From behind you may be tempted to toss in a dirty paper plate...
Rolling_Kegger96.jpg

But from the front...you'll be looking for the nearest clean glass to fill...
Rolling_Kegger97.jpg

Interestingly, the shape of the container lends a nice slight curve to the taps.
Rolling_Kegger98.jpg

...and of course the drain spigot at the bottom.
Rolling_Kegger99.jpg

Now it's on to insulating the interior.

Latest posts

Back