temp question (going away for 4 days)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosemite Bing

Reaction score
We are headed out of town for 4 days and I have had a Belgian dubble in the pirmary for 4 days now still with visible ferm occurring. The temps here are from mid 70s to mid 80s. I have no central AC in the house.
I have the fermenter in a closet in a water bath with a cotton shirt wicking the water up and a fan on it. The thermometer on the ferm has been reading a consistent 64 deg. The air temp around it is in the mid 70s. Should I be concerned with the house being locked up for four days? Not sure how much I trust the them on the carboy.

Thanks,
Gene

Can you move the carboy into the tub and leave enough water running to keep it full while you are gone? Still using the wet shirt and fan rig of course. Have fun on your trip.

What is the preferred temperature range on your yeast? A lot of Belgian yeasts ferment best in the 70's or even low 80's. It sounds to me like you might be fermenting too cool. I like the idea of the water bath to mitigate temperature swings in the house, but the wet t-shirt might not be necessary.

What is the preferred temperature range on your yeast? A lot of Belgian yeasts ferment best in the 70's or even low 80's. It sounds to me like you might be fermenting too cool. I like the idea of the water bath to mitigate temperature swings in the house, but the wet t-shirt might not be necessary.

Plus by now you're probably over the most crucial stage of fermentation in terms of temps anyway..

A water bath as maintenance should be fine...using the bathtub might not be a bad idea in terms of having a larger volume of water to sit the carboy in.

I am using White Labs Trappist Ale. WLP500. They suggest an optimum temp range of 65-72 deg. Cooler temps will produce less fruity flavors. Which is not what I am looking for. So I will take your advice and relax the active cooling somewhat. But still try to maintain something in the mid 70s.

As I am looking at the website I realize some other strains may be better suited for the summer months. Saison in particular. WLP568 (Belgian Saison Ale)

Thanks for the information. Perhaps I just need to relax and have a homebrew.
Gene

Back