Leftovers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
I had a bunch of hops that were nearing the 1 year mark in the freezer and needed to use them up- I also needed to brew an IPA! This turned out great!!

Grain: (80% eff)

11 lbs American 2-row
6 oz Carapils
5 oz Crystal 60L
3 oz American munich

mash at 152 with 4 gallons water
Irish moss at 15

Hops:
60 min - .5 oz Simcoe (13 aa)
30 min- .5 oz Columbus ( 17 aa)
15 min- .2 Cascade (6 aa) and .5 oz Simcoe (13 aa)
Flame out - .5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Simcoe (13 aa)

Dry hop 1 oz Simcoe and 1/2 oz columbus

Great way to make use of your resources. I have quite a few hops I need to use up soon.

Great way to make use of your resources. I have quite a few hops I need to use up soon.

I was a bit conflicted using so many high alpha hops when my Local HB store is now charging 4.25 for 2 oz when I bought these hops at 1.95 for 2 oz. But, I am so glad I did. I really love the late addition Simcoe-something I had not tried before and probably would not have done if I had more Cascade. The shortage is really forcing me to explore other hops and is so far a great thing.

This beer is really good-the grain bill is Lagunitas IPA but I like the hops I added better than the Lagunitas Cascade/Willamette schedule. I kept the hops moderate because the audience for this beer are not hopheads.

Latest posts

Back