National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Vorlauf question - runnings won't clear?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Tankard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vorlauf question - runnings won't clear?

My first AG had its share of problems, but the biggest one was my inability to get clear runnings from my MLT. I mashed at 150 degrees for one hour. I recirculated about a gallon and a half of wort, and there was still *some* grain getting through. At first there would be a ton of grain coming out, and after a gallon or two, there would be a lot less, but there would still be some grain. After the sparge, the same thing would happen. My boil pot had floating pieces of grain on top when I began the hour long boil.

Is this normal for a false bottom setup? I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT. I think I made the mistake of pouring the wort right back on top of the grain bed, rather than using the coffee lid method that protects the grain bed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
My first AG had its share of problems, but the biggest one was my inability to get clear runnings from my MLT. I mashed at 150 degrees for one hour. I recirculated about a gallon and a half of wort, and there was still *some* grain getting through. At first there would be a ton of grain coming out, and after a gallon or two, there would be a lot less, but there would still be some grain. After the sparge, the same thing would happen. My boil pot had floating pieces of grain on top when I began the hour long boil.

Is this normal for a false bottom setup? I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT. I think I made the mistake of pouring the wort right back on top of the grain bed, rather than using the coffee lid method that protects the grain bed. Any ideas? Thanks.
I dont use a false bottom I use a SS braid, However I have had brewdays where I would have to vourlof 9-10 times before it would clear.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

If your grain bed is shallow, it can be very difficult to recirculate without disturbing it. Use a perforated pie tin next time. You won't get totally grain-free wort, but it should be better.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never really get 100% clear runnings, and I don't really care. As long as you minimize it, you should be fine...little bits of grain won't hurt anything. Now, you don't want the husks in there, but it's usually just bits of the grain itself that get in there.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for asking this question.

I did my first vorlauf last batch, and saw some clarification but never ran clear. At some point I pleaded "diminishing returns" and just let it run off.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I brewed my hefeweizen, my wort cleared practically instantly. Other times (like the summer ale I brewed most recently), I couldn't get to clear to save my life.

I'm not really sure why it sometimes clears and sometimes it doesn't, but both the hefeweizen and the summer ale are great ... so I guess I'm not worrying about it too much at this point.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive always recirc'ed until I had clear runnings. And now that i recirculate with a pump, it's unbelievable how crystal clear the wort is. And I don't mean I just get all those little pieces of grain out, but even the cloudiness/haze gets filtered out in the grainbed. It really is a beautiful thing.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

a lot can be said for having a thicker grain bed and letting it compact a little bit. I personally have better clarity on my 10 gallon batches with the thick grain bed than I do with my 5 gallon batches and the shallow bed. Perhaps this is a good excuse for you to jump into ten gallon batches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also, while its fine to drain a batch sparge at full speed, you may still need to close the ball valve a little to get clear runnings.

I'd say mine is about 75-80% open. fast enough to drain quickly but just slow enough to filter grain bits after 2qts of recirculation.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

and when you vorlouf or recirc back on top of the grain bed, a small plastic lid or something will help distribute the runnings evenly without disturbing the bed