Award-Winning Extracts? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Award-Winning Extracts?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
Just to clarify....if I do a full boil there would be no need to do late extract addition?
Correct...

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I personally wouldn't worry about late extract addition if I were doing full boil, but others may have different view points on this.
Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
brewt00l
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I'll echo what others have said..it's easy to make great extract /w grains brew:

-good sanitization
-quality fresh ingredients
-temp control
-the right yeast & ingredients for the desired flavor profile

understanding what you're trying to do with all the ingredients and how they effect the flavor is very helpful...designing great beers is a handy resource.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
Slappy White

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Columbia, SC

There has been some different opinions on the yeast....does it not really matter if I just use one pack of dry yeast or should I rehydrate it? also, is it better to use two in comparison to one pack of 5g. I've heard different opinions and am still wondering which produces the best results.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

www.mrmalty.com has a yeast pitching rate calculator. You will usually need 10-15g of dry yeast. And yes, you should always rehydrate your dried yeast. Just boil some water, let it cool to 90-100 covered, pour the yeast in, keep covered until ready to pitch.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
elkdog

Recipes 

May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
There has been some different opinions on the yeast....does it not really matter if I just use one pack of dry yeast or should I rehydrate it? also, is it better to use two in comparison to one pack of 5g. I've heard different opinions and am still wondering which produces the best results.
Bobby_M here did an experiment with yeasts, and got less lag time by rehydrating the dry yeast, so I tend to do that, but I've also dumped it straight in and done well. Jamil's book (the Mr. Malty site is his as well) specifies amounts of dry yeast for all the recipes, if you're so inclined. His results are hard to argue with (though he uses liquid yeasts for his own brews).

Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
Danek
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Sheffield, UK
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestuff View Post
...yes, you should always rehydrate your dried yeast.
Just to clarify - it is better to rehydrate yeast. But not rehydrating yeast wouldn't be disasterous.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
nyer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So if I have an extract kit that calls for a 2 1/2 gallon boil and then I'm supposed to top off after, I can boil say 5 1/2 to 6 gallons without changing the recipe at all? I'm assuming you would just boil down to 5 gallons?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
silvery37
Recipes 

Apr 2012
austin, tx
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Just to clarify....if I do a full boil there would be no need to do late extract addition?
I do full boils and late extract addition, i add the extract at flame out actually. Late extract addition even in a full boil will result in a beer with a lighter color more accurate to the style. If you are doing partial mash the initial grains will add enough gravity for the hops.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
logan3825
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts

Try this thread. 10 Tips to better extract brewing.

I would gladly share any recipe I have. I think it is a dick move not to share.

I would add this thread as a good read on yeast. Particularly post #6.