Spent Grain - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Spent Grain

Old 06-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Seattle, Washington
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
you can also bake with some of it if you like bread...there are a couple recipes on here...I know of some people who make dog biscuits with it too (Maybe there's a recipe here as well) but composting is the best, environmentally friendly way to go...
I have tried baking some bread, it came out pretty good. There used to be a company here in Seattle called Spent Grains Baking Company, and they made breads with stuff from the local micro-breweries.

I don't have a dog, and I don't think my cat would eat that kind of thing, so that option is out, but I am ALWAYS looking for more things to throw into the compost tumbler, I just can't believe that I had not already thought of this.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 795 Times on 438 Posts

Mine goes into a black plastic garbage bag and off to the land fills.

Last week I parked the bag on the side of the house and in the 90+ degree heat...the bag expanded like a hot air balloon.

I went to move it and tore a small hole.

That sh!t smelled like a 3-month old corpse climbed out of the grave and threw up on a fresh pile of dog crap.

Phewwwwwww.....

Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
Germey

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Rancho Bernardo, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, what a coincidence. I have one of those stacking worm composter things, (about 2X3X1ft) and I was just wondering this morning whether I could throw some of the spent grains in from last night. I don't think they can handle all 27 lbs (probably 40 with the residual moisture) but it's good to know the worms like it.

For those that do bread, do you have to do something with it like grind it up or something? Has anyone frozen some right after mashing for use later? My brews always seem to finish late at night, and there is no bread baking going on then.
I also have an oatmeal pancake recipe I would like to try them in.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey View Post
Wow, what a coincidence. I have one of those stacking worm composter things, (about 2X3X1ft) and I was just wondering this morning whether I could throw some of the spent grains in from last night. I don't think they can handle all 27 lbs (probably 40 with the residual moisture) but it's good to know the worms like it.

For those that do bread, do you have to do something with it like grind it up or something? Has anyone frozen some right after mashing for use later? My brews always seem to finish late at night, and there is no bread baking going on then.
I also have an oatmeal pancake recipe I would like to try them in.
I've only ever thrown the grains in "whole" never thought of grinding them....not a bad idea, except grinding wet grains might be difficult...

ANd if you are not going to be doing this almost immediately I think you would have to immediately freeze the grains you intend on using..or else Lacto will immediate grow on them...I've never tried that either...

If you have a bread machine though, figure out your recipe and load everything but the grains during the mash.... then after you sparge and start your boil, add the grains to the machine and start the machine going.... you'll have bread for breakfast...or if it takes you awhile to clean up everything...you'll have some hot tasty bread to wash down your post brew beer with.

And if you don't have a bread machine, keep an eye out for a garage sale, I got a brand new never been used one for 10 bucks one day.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Seattle, Washington
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've only ever thrown the grains in "whole" never thought of grinding them....not a bad idea, except grinding wet grains might be difficult...

ANd if you are not going to be doing this almost immediately I think you would have to immediately freeze the grains you intend on using..or else Lacto will immediate grow on them...I've never tried that either...

If you have a bread machine though, figure out your recipe and load everything but the grains during the mash.... then after you sparge and start your boil, add the grains to the machine and start the machine going.... you'll have bread for breakfast...or if it takes you awhile to clean up everything...you'll have some hot tasty bread to wash down your post brew beer with.

And if you don't have a bread machine, keep an eye out for a garage sale, I got a brand new never been used one for 10 bucks one day.

As far as "grinding" goes, I bet you could throw it in a food processor and break it down some more if you don't like your bread as "chunky".

As far as the lacto goes, that might be an interesting way to come up with a sourdough type of recipe. Let the grains sit out for a day or two on the counter, kind of like making a sponge, for those that use that method for bread baking.

As to the black plastic bags, leave them alone for a month or two, and you will come back to "black gold"... it will compost in there. My sister in law left some garbage bags full of weeds that she meant to get rid of back next to her shed last summer, and later in the summer she made the mistake of hitting one of them with the weed whacker, and got sprayed with some nice, most, dark rich compost.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
Donasay
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Boston
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If bambi was a buck, why are so many strippers named bambi? Also other why do strippers have other weird names like "rain" I mean seriously....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
Also other why do strippers have other weird names like "rain" I mean seriously....
How do you know their names? Do they wear name tags?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Germey

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Rancho Bernardo, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
If bambi was a buck, why are so many strippers named bambi? Also other why do strippers have other weird names like "rain" I mean seriously....
The goal is to separate the stripper from every single customer's mother, wife, and daughter.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Liked 998 Times on 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
How do you know their names? Do they wear name tags?
its always with the phone #'s they give ME.. Ya know.. for a good time call 1-900-yada yada LOL

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Feb 2006
La Plata, MD
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

The grass is in fact always greener where I spread my spent grains