Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless fitting leaking

Old 04-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
SomedumbJerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Weldless fitting leaking

i just got a Keggle from conpewter (thanks!) and i'm installing a weldless ball valve from morebeer.com, and i can't get the thing to not leak. if i overtighten it, the oring squishes out to the side of the washer. i put a bunch of teflon tape over the threads.. i'm running out of ideas... should i flatten the side of the keg so it sits flush?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Labrat
Recipes 

Is the hole in the keg a lot larger than the 1/2 inch NPT? Does the brass nut that came with your bulkhead have a cut away section shown in this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=63014

This cut away section forces the o-ring to compress instead of distorting. Some lock nuts are flat on both sides and the o-ring is squeezed out of position.

I have two keggles that do not leak and only have one o-ring on the outside section of the keggle. Have you tried this approach?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

flattening may help, but try going reaaalllyyy slow when tightening and keep that oring straight in..

Old 04-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
SomedumbJerk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so i have the oring on the inside... no nut... am i retarded? oh and i love the sifl and olli picture.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedumbJerk
so i have the oring on the inside... no nut... am i retarded? oh and i love the sifl and olli picture.

Isn't that Chester?
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Labrat
Recipes 

Did you get it to quit leaking?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
SomedumbJerk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just did this morning. put like ten layers of teflon tape on, which made it feel like it was cross threading, so i took it apart to check, which made me need to tape it again. it held water for 45mins. without a leak. i's going to go get some propane today and boil some water to see if it holds up. the problem i foresee is the kettle getting hot and the water thats leaking evaporating before i can notice. we'll see!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Isn't the O-Ring supposed to go on the outside where the nut is???

Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My friend had the same problems after using a hole saw to cut up his kegs.
I ended up machining washers 1/4" thick by 2" OD with an internal step to hold in the "O" ring with one inside and outside each keg. After machining the washers they went thru a press matching the kegs radius for a solid leakproof seal. A flat nut even with a machined "O" ring slot against a kegs radius is like sealing a boat leak from the inside.

To avoid any leaking problems I would not consider a weldless fitting on any brewing system, JMO's.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1346 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The fatal flaw in weldless systems is having an Oring try sealing at the threaded portion of a pipe nipple. Think like wort....you'll find the way out.