Premature termination of a fantastic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hovik

Reaction score
Help me talk myself out of dumping this brew down the drain...
I brewed Founders Breakfast Stout extract version (I've done the all grain version with success in the past) and it only fermented for 4 days or so before stopping. I didn't just go off the airlock - I checked with the refracto and it's frozen at 1.047 (recipe calls for a Final of 1.020. So, I moved it from a 65 degree basement to 73ish 1st floor, bubbled for an hour or so and stopped. Left it there for another week checked again still 1.047. Pitched another packet of WLP001, left another week checked again still 1.047. Boiled 3oz dextrose with tablespoon of yeast nutrient, cooled and pitched, left for a few days still 1.047. Any thoughts? ideas? criticisms?

Use your hydrometer to measure FG. Refractometers are wildly inaccurate once alcohol is present unless you do some conversions. I bet it's much lower than you think.

Agreed, your FG number as measured with a refractometer is no good. Measure it with a hydrometer, or taste it and if good, proceed. There are conversion calculators online.

Back