freezing hop pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMac53

Reaction score
I grow hops and dry and freeze them, but I was wondering if I can freeze hop pellets as well. Now and then I find a good deal on quantities of hop pellets and thought if I weighed them out into ounce bags, could I freeze them like whole hops???? Any hop experts out there?

The freezer is the only place you should be storing hops. I'm no expert but I think you can trust me.

A vacuum sealer is a wise investment.
Hops ain't cheap, and the prices are creeping up.
I buy 8 oz. bag pellets and seal / freeze what I don't use. Much cheaper than the 1 oz. bags.

A vacuum sealer is a wise investment.
Hops ain't cheap, and the prices are creeping up.
I buy 8 oz. bag pellets and seal / freeze what I don't use. Much cheaper than the 1 oz. bags.

I agree with SEndorf! I bought a vacuum sealer for the purpose of buying hops in larger quantities since they are much cheaper that way. Once I open the bag for a brew I measure out the rest in 1oz increments and vacuum seal them up ASAP and place them in the freezer. Like others have said, I'm no expert either but I believe hops (cones or pellets) should be stored in a freezer only.

In a freezer that is part of a frost free fridge they will last 6 months to a year before they start to degrade if vac sealed. If not vac sealed the quality starts to drop pretty fast. At least that has been my experience. A few months in the freezer part of my my kitchen fridge and I have noticed they degrade quite a bit. For best results I found that if I keep them in a non-frost free deep freezer and they will last a very long time if vacuum sealed. A month back I found an unopened pound of cascade I forgot about in the bottom of our deep freezer. It was 3 years old! The pellets smelled just as fresh as the first pound of that variety I opened when they arrived at my door step from hops direct.

Used half the found pound in a 30 minute hop stand for a DIPA. The aroma and flavor was perfect!

The best way to store pellet hops, is in quart size mason jars and vacuum sealing them using a foodsaver and their mason jar attachment, and storing in a freezer. A quart jar can hold one pound of pellet hops perfectly. These jars are much easier to use vs. vacuum seal bags, and infinitely reusable, versus the bags which are consumables.

:mug:

The best way to store pellet hops, is in quart size mason jars and vacuum sealing them using a foodsaver and their mason jar attachment, and storing in a freezer. A quart jar can hold one pound of pellet hops perfectly. These jars are much easier to use vs. vacuum seal bags, and infinitely reusable, versus the bags which are consumables.

:mug:

I like separating my hops in 1 and 2 oz bags as opposed to constant opening and closing a jar and exposing all the hops.

Buy hops. Bag hops. Hops won't see air until they get tossed in the kettle.

A roll isn't that expensive.

Latest posts

Back