Can It Be Saved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwisby

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I think I messed up. I made a batch of five day sweet country cider from the recipe database. I used Nottingham yeast and accidentally used .25lb of extra sugar. So I bottle at 1.06 as per the recipe, let it sit for a day then pop one before I pasturize. Boom, overcarbed.

So I just crack all 23 bottles and dump them back in the bucket with the remaining 2 gallons of cider (I was doing something else with it).

My question is this. Can I just rebottle? Or do I need to let it go flat first?

Get FOUR 1/2 gallon jugs and use them to bottle the 2 gallons of un- carbonated cider. Keep one 1/2 gallon jug in the fridge. When you open your carbed cider, pour it into a glass about 1/2 full and add the still cider. It should come out about right.
Kind of hassle, but easier than re-bottling a whole case.
Or just
Chill down 12 oz of the still cider and try it. You may not need a 50/50 mix.

Well crap I already mixed them.

Get FOUR 1/2 gallon jugs and use them to bottle the 2 gallons of un- carbonated cider. Keep one 1/2 gallon jug in the fridge. When you open your carbed cider, pour it into a glass about 1/2 full and add the still cider. It should come out about right.
Kind of hassle, but easier than re-bottling a whole case.
Or just
Chill down 12 oz of the still cider and try it. You may not need a 50/50 mix.

Let it ferment down dry again and re-prime/re-bottle would be the easiest thing to do, not the quickest thing to do.

Edit: or bottle again now and look into pasteurising.

I'm actually really happy with the flavor and abv. My main concern is the c02.
Let it ferment down dry again and re-prime/re-bottle would be the easiest thing to do, not the quickest thing to do.

Edit: or bottle again now and look into pasteurising.

See, this recipe only tales about a day to carb. I'm I'm worried if I rebottle all of the c02 in suspension will make bottle bombs.

Back