Toasted Marshmallow Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using this in a brew? Going to be brewing my S'more Stout recipe this weekend and was thinking of adding this toasted marshmallow extract when kegging. Debating whether if i should use the full 4 ounces or reduce it. I do have a 5mL glass syringe. My thought is to pull an 8 ounce sample and add 0.77mL of the extract to this sample which would be the same ratio of adding 2oz to 4.8gallons. I would taste it and then try adding another 0.77mL to simulate 4oz to 4.8 gallons and taste again. From there i could make my decision on the ratio i would want.

Just curious if anyone has an experience using this extract and wondering what kind of results they have with it.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Toasted-Marshmallow-Flavoring-4-oz_p_6600.html

I heard of someone taking basically a branding iron and heating it up red hot and then doused it in the beer which supposedly gave it a toasted marshmallow/caramel flavor.

Never tried it personally but always thought it was an interesting concept.

Learn from my mistake...don't buy it. I had the same thought process and found it to very medicinal tasting.

I ended up making some of this http://www.crumbblog.com/toasted-marshmallow-syrup-for-lavazzacheer/ and it worked out quite a bit better for me.

hmmm that's disheartening. My recipe includes mashing in two boxes of crushed honeymaid graham crackers with my other malts. I plan to add lactose and cocoa powder late in the boil and post fermentation i will rack into secondary onto two vanilla beans that were soaked in vanilla vodka. I just wanted to keep some of this extract in case my "toast/graham" flavor fell out. this is my second time brewing this and to try and get more graham /toasted cracker in the nose I am going to add honey and smoked malt.

hmmm that's disheartening. My recipe includes mashing in two boxes of crushed honeymaid graham crackers with my other malts. I plan to add lactose and cocoa powder late in the boil and post fermentation i will rack into secondary onto two vanilla beans that were soaked in vanilla vodka. I just wanted to keep some of this extract in case my "toast/graham" flavor fell out. this is my second time brewing this and to try and get more graham /toasted cracker in the nose I am going to add honey and smoked malt.

Agreed - it made me quite sad; but the syrup worked incredibly well, and I made a huge batch so I could add more when/if needed

Agreed - it made me quite sad; but the syrup worked incredibly well, and I made a huge batch so I could add more when/if needed

Did you add the syrup at flame out? my only fear of using syrup after boil is that it will sweeten the beer with the sugar it has in it.

Did you add the syrup at flame out? my only fear of using syrup after boil is that it will sweeten the beer with the sugar it has in it.

The sugar in it should all ferment out - I added a little in primary, a bit more and secondary, and then made a batch with Lactose to add in the keg, since my beer was to be a dessert beer.

You may be able to get the same flavor from dark candy syrup. However it will dry it out a bit.

My recipe is a sweet stout - see below. I am still deciding on yeast. between wlp004/wlp006/wlp007. I am leaning towards wlp007 and mashing higher, but maybe using wlp004 would leave more residual sweetness and hopefully retain the graham cracker notes.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.3 %
12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
12.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.1 %
8.0 oz Midnight Wheat (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.1 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.1 %
8.0 oz Smoked Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 8 4.1 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9 2.0 %
1.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops - 60 mins
1.00 oz Cascade Hops - 10 minutes
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 12 -
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 15 min](0 Sugar 13 8.2 %
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 14 -

ADD 28 ounces (2 boxes) crushed honeymaid graham crackers to the mash

The sugar in it should all ferment out - I added a little in primary, a bit more and secondary, and then made a batch with Lactose to add in the keg, since my beer was to be a dessert beer.

How much of that syrup did you end up using in a 5 gallon batch? The entire 1 cup of sugars worth?

Back