Brewing more than 1 gallon with 1 gallon setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Guys, i need some help to come up with an idea to brew a larger batch using my current setup.

I currently only brew 1 gallon (4 liter) batches, but since i got my first Keg i need to stop wasting CO2 and fill that thing with more beer.

In my current boil pot i can boil up to 3.1 gallons (12 liters), currently i boil 2 gallons (8 liters) to finish up with 1 gallon o beer.

So, i could boil my maximum capacity and end up with around 6 liters of beer which is already an improvement, but i was wondering if i can boil a stronger wort and top if off with boiled water from another pot to produce even more beer.

Could you please help me figure this out? What would you do in my place?

Thanks

I am assuming your brewing on the stove. I would look for a 5 gallon pot if I am brewing inside the kitchen. This would allow for maybe a 3 gallon batch. but if I could swing it going to 5 gallon batches would be better though you would need a completely different setup from brew pot to carboys ect. You can do what you suggested and make a strong wort and then cut it with boiled water. But flavor suffers some and getting the balance of hopping and wort strength to match the increase of water could be a challenge. :mug:

Like @ChelisHubby said, get a bigger pot. For a 5 gallon batch (your keg size) you'd really need an 8 gallon pot, and if you're ever going to do 5 gallon all-grain batches, a 10 gallon pot is even better.

Sadly, not many kitchen stoves can boil 6-8 gallons of wort, even if you straddle the 8-10 gallon pot over 2 burners, but the investment would be more future proof if you're moving in that direction.

For now, a 5 gallon pot would be great, and if you have another large pot, divide the wort over the 2 pots (and 2 burners), so between them you can boil close to 5 gallons. If need be, you can always boil a stronger wort (say 4 gallons) and add the missing 20-25% top off water to your fermentor, which is probably about the limit before your beer starts to taste diluted, and hop extraction and utilization (bitterness) starts to suffer.

A 5 gallon pot is not that expensive, and some can be a true bargain. It can double duty for soup, stocks, etc.

Yes, Walmart sells this 16 qt stock pot for $12. What I do is fill to the final volume I want and then continuously top off throughout the boil. Then you do not waste any space in your boil pot. I can easily boil 2.5 gallons in a pot this size.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-16-Qt-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-with-Metal-Lid/37320203

OP, get 2 of those and you've got your 5 gallon boil covered, as long as your stove can boil both 2.5 gallons at the same time.

Latest posts

Back