Help with my local water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfan1234

Reaction score
Hello again. Since I have been brewing all grain, I have buying RO water and building from there. That gets a little expensive and is a pain since I have to drive about 15 miles to get it.

So, I called my local water provider and got the following information from their lab.

Ca 100-115 ppm
Mg 0.3 ppm
Na 113 ppm
SO4 0-10 ppm
CL 15 ppm
HCO3 60 ppm (But could vary between 60 and 125ppm)

Chloramines 3.28 ppm
Chlorine 2.8 ppm

Can I brew anything with this water as is?

How do I eliminate Chlorine and Chloramines without altering mineral content?

Been building from RO water in Beersmith, how do I go about altering this water to other profiles?

Sorry for all of the beginner questions. I really have searched and read a ton on the subject, but I am still learning. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm afraid that water report is not worth much. Cations and anions must balance. Here you have 1 - 2 mEq/L alkalinity and about 0 - 0.4 sulfate plus about 0.4 mEq/L chloride for a maximum of 2.8. Against this you have calcium at either 2 or 5 depending on whether the ppm Ca is ppm as the metal or as CaCO3 and about 5 of sodium for a total of 7 to 10.

Send off a sample to Ward Labs.

To remove chlorine/chloramine without changing the mineral content you would have to use GAC filtering. Most people use Campden tablets or sodium or potassium metabisulfite. These do change the chemistry but only a very little and in a favourable direction. See the sticky at the top of Brewing Science.

Thanks for your reply. Truth be told, I don't really understand the problem with the report though ... or how to adjust it. I guess I will just continue buying RO water for now.

Using the numbers in the report the cation and anion charges do not balance. This is not possible in the physical world therefore the water report you have does not represent any real water. Given that the reported water cannot exist there are difficulties with recommending things to do to make it like any real water.

Thank you for the layman's explanation. Like I said, I am just beginning with water chemistry, and admittedly do not understand it yet.

I got those numbers directly from the water company. Go figure.

Now that I understand your advice, I will take the step you recommended. Thanks again.

Back