Help! weird layers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrmaz

Reaction score
Hey I made my first ever batch of mead on the 29th and I everything looked normal yesterday but now there is this weird layer of stuff on the bottom of the demijohn and some mushroom cloud looking stuff that has settled in the middle, is there something wrong with my mead. I have put strawberry, raspberry and blueberry's in this as well which you can see on the top.

eDiP2

mead.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about right now. It will take a while (weeks) for the solids to settle to the bottom.

ahhh ok I was just a bit worried cos it looked a bit weird compared to some of the other meads that i've seen.

Lots of fruit pulp is what I see. You can avoid some of this mess by fermenting in a plastic bucket and putting the fruit in a brew bag (coarse mesh nylon bag on Amazon). Doing the primary ferment in a bucket twice the size of your batch just makes nearly everything easier.

Back