Best Yeast for Smoked Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
My homebrew club is doing a smoked malt challenge, so I have decided to make a smoked brown ale. I've already bought the grains, but I can't decide what yeast I should use. I have US-05 and US-04 on hand, but I've never used either (though I have used 001 several times). I'm open to buying something else if there is a better choice out there, however. I also have 1318 slurry, but I'm really hesitant to use it because the one beer I made with it had lots of horrible banana esters.

Below is the recipe I'm using (for a 3.5 gallon batch). Anyone have any recommendations:

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Classic Style Smoked Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.38%
IBU (tinseth): 25.37
SRM (morey): 25.42

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (66.7%)
1.3 lb - American - Smoked Malt (17.3%)
0.4 lb - United Kingdom - Dark Crystal 80L (5.3%)
0.4 lb - United Kingdom - Chocolate (5.3%)
0.4 lb - Flaked Oats (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.8
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 9.57

Something British.
Dry Yeast you could gowith S-04
But my preference would be Liquid. Something Like WY1275/WY1469/WY1968
would work well (I Love 1469)

S-04 is an excellent yeast to use.

I'm more interested in what the Smoked Malt is that you are using.

S-04 is an excellent yeast to use.

I'm more interested in what the Smoked Malt is that you are using.

I'm leaning towards using the S-04 since I already have it. The smoked malt I'm using is the Briess Cherrywood--I'm hoping it's not going to be too smoky at 17%.

I'm leaning towards using the S-04 since I already have it. The smoked malt I'm using is the Briess Cherrywood--I'm hoping it's not going to be too smoky at 17%.

That will not be too smokey. 2 to 3 lbs in 5 gallons is noticeable (and very prominent), but by no means overpowering the other flavors in the beer.

You have 1.3 lbs in 3.5 gallons which is about 1.9 lbs in 5 gallons. If anything, I'd say you were on the low side ...... but I like smokey beers.

That will not be too smokey. 2 to 3 lbs in 5 gallons is noticeable (and very prominent), but by no means overpowering the other flavors in the beer.

You have 1.3 lbs in 3.5 gallons which is about 1.9 lbs in 5 gallons. If anything, I'd say you were on the low side ...... but I like smokey beers.

I don't dislike them, but smoked beers are not among my favorite styles. I probably wouldn't be brewing one if not for it being a homebrew club thing. My thinking was that I'd rather risk having too little smoke character and just end up with a nice brown ale than too much and have to drink a case of super smoky beer.

Latest posts

Back