Hops Additions Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
In my old system, I made a hop sock from a 4"-3" PVC Adapter, a hose clamp, a hops bag and an 18" piece of 1/2" copper tube resting across the rim of the keggle... I would put a weight in it to keep it open so I could add hops...

I just set all that up and am waiting for the wort to boil down to the right level before I start my hops additions (because I misremembered how fast the wort boils off)...

Then it hit me that the whole reason I did this was to keep the hops bag from getting scorched or a hole in it by getting too close to the bottom of the keggle where the flame was...

But since I have now switched to an electric element with a false bottom (>1/2" clearance between element and false bottom), I'm wondering if this is even necessary now...

Would I run into trouble if I just put the hops in a hops bag, tied the top in a knot and threw it in the keggle without a weight or anything? I'd need three hops bags instead of one, but it sure would be easy...

I don't have any first hand experience with what you propose but I would be concerned with the bag of hops resting on the element thus preventing wort from contacting and extracting heat from the element. If that occurred a hot spot would develop and burn through the bag. You could always do a test with water and a bag filled with something that simulates hops so you can visualize. Perhaps if the boil is aggressive the hop bag will move around enough so this won't be an issue?

Back