Pricing used gear for sale--need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my all grain brewing gear and selling off a nearly complete cooler-based system. I am not sure what a fair price is, and so I could use some advice from the Price Police.

I'm not selling the stuff on HBT, but on my local Craigslist... this really isn't a backdoor sales pitch, honest!

How would you price this pile of gear?

Thanks for the input!

- Spike Brewing 15 gallon kettle with hop blocker, sight glass and 3-piece valve (it's a nice kettle!)
- 2 Igloo 10 gallon coolers with brass valves, one with a stainless false bottom (as seen at Northern Brewer, etc)
- Camp Chef propane burner
- Blue Rhino propane cylinder (empty)
- Plastic fermentation bucket with lid, airlock and thermowell
- STC-1000 based temperature controller
- Hydrometer
- Plastic bottling bucket with spigot
- 10 gallons worth of blue swing-top bottles
- bottling wand
- A few doses of Super Moss and campden tablets thrown in

I just sold two keggles - one with a Norcal false bottom, on C/L Seattle for $200.

Looks like you paid somewhere around $300 for that kettle, I wouldnt ask less than $200

Not sure on the coolers - $50/ea?

Camp Chief Burner - maybe $25-30?

The Blue Rhino - 25% less than what it's worth at the store.

$15-20 for the fermenter

What does the STC-1000 look like? $50-70

The swing-top bottles are worth quite a bit... How big are they?

I have 16 oz and 32 oz bottles and can put together a package with mostly 16s and about 25% 32s.

The STC is a home built unit. It does not look fancy but I've seen similar stuff for sale commercially. Considering a new Inkbird is about $40 I guess this is only worth $25-30.

My hope is to sell all of the above to a new brewer.

Thank you for the feedback!

I'm upgrading my all grain brewing gear and selling off a nearly complete cooler-based system. I am not sure what a fair price is, and so I could use some advice from the Price Police.

I'm not selling the stuff on HBT, but on my local Craigslist... this really isn't a backdoor sales pitch, honest!

How would you price this pile of gear?

Thanks for the input!

- Spike Brewing 15 gallon kettle with hop blocker, sight glass and 3-piece valve (it's a nice kettle!)
- 2 Igloo 10 gallon coolers with brass valves, one with a stainless false bottom (as seen at Northern Brewer, etc)
- Camp Chef propane burner
- Blue Rhino propane cylinder (empty)
- Plastic fermentation bucket with lid, airlock and thermowell
- STC-1000 based temperature controller
- Hydrometer
- Plastic bottling bucket with spigot
- 10 gallons worth of blue swing-top bottles
- bottling wand
- A few doses of Super Moss and campden tablets thrown in

Are you wanting to sell it all in one fell swoop to one person? I'd be interested in one of the coolers (w/false bottom) and the bottling wand...the kettle is way out of my league and I have everything else.

(Off topic, kinda)

My experience with Craiglist:

Guy walks around, kicks tire (or equivalent), pulls out magnifying glass and notices blemish.

Buyer: Stuff is crap, I'll give you 5% of what your asking.

Me: Uh no thanks, I'll hold out for more.

Buyer now severely offended for some reason: This is bull. Your stuff isn't made of gold. Whats your freaking deal man. I'm outta here.

Me: huh?

Almost always get one or two of these types. I'm curious if it ever works for them.

On another note, I'll give you $75 for your stuff but you gotta pay shipping :D

Back