Big Mouth Bubbler - Plastic is blistering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a Big Mouth Bubbler that I got about 2 years ago. I've not used it too often, maybe for dry hopping 10 brews.

I bottled yesterday, and noticed what looks like plastic bubbles or blisters on the inside. there are 9 of them. They are oval shaped, about a third of an inch by a quarter inch. They bulge from the wall inside of the fermenter and are smooth when I run my finger over them.

Anyone else have any of these? Any idea what could make the plastic bubble/blister like this.

Not sure I want to use this anymore. Although the surface is smooth, I'm concerned about possibly harboring infections. Also, if this is a reaction to beer, I worry about what it could be adding to the beer? 2 years, with limited use is not what I would consider good service.

I had a 35 year old fermenter bite the dust this weekend too (now that one was a work horse, and worth every penny). Now I've got 2 to replace. Looking at the 8 gallon speidel fermenter. Anyone have one/recommend it. $60 for a fermenter seems high, but if it will last.

I have a few speidel products including the 30l. I like it a lot, it is pretty easy to clean and not needing a racking can brings me joy. I will say it's pretty big I tend to only use it when I am doing 7 gallon batches to split onto fruit or something.

I know they are more expensive but after using the SS Brewbucket if I ever need another fermenter that's the route I would go.

Got any pics? I'd like to see them.

I had three BMBs. Two I used for the past two years with no issues. I know it's been two years, but maybe contact Northern Brewer and see what they say about it.

Back