Williams American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
Former AG brewer First time brewing since my son was born. He's turning three soon. Made an old extract kit, with fresh yeast, last Monday. OG was 1.066, target was 1.057 but my boil off was higher than I remember and I ended up with 4.5 gallons into the fermenter. A week later and my beer is at 1.016. Instructions say it will end at 1.022. Gonna test it over the next few days to see if it's stable. If it is, this seems like a fast ferment and is ending much lower than expected.

Anyone else use Williams kits? I've never heard of them and don't get many results when I search. And anyone experienced this variation in gravity? Just curious. Tastes good so far. Excited to be back at it!

With an extract kit, OG is determined by the amount of extract and the amount of water. If you end up with less volume because of higher boil off, the OG will be higher than predicted.

Once you pitch the yeast, all bets are off. The kit maker can estimate what the yeast will do based on the expected attenuation but the yeast are really in control and the may go on strike and quit early or they might be really hungry and go for the last of the sugars leaving you with a lower than expected FG.

Back