Bubbles slowed down.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an123

Reaction score
I'm 4 days into fermenting an amber ale. The bubbles were at a rate of 1 every second. They've seemed to slow down to about every three seconds. Any idea what's going on?

Could I leave it in the primary fermenter rather than transfer it?

I know this will cause controversy but- I'd lest citing primary for at least ten days. This will give the yeast a chance to clean up any residual fermentation "leftovers".
My personal practice (this is the controversial part) is to then move it to secondary for another 7-10 days. Particularly if you want to dry hop. Then cold crash & keg or bottle.

No problems leaving it in the primary. A lot of people here (myself included) will keep it in primary for 14+ days, then bottle/keg.

Could I leave it in the primary fermenter rather than transfer it?

Sure can, at homebrew scale autolysis isn't much an issue, you can leave beer on the yeast for a few months no problem. There are a few reasons to go to secondary, such as some prefer to dry hop that way. But for an amber, keep it there until you are ready to bottle/keg.

Back