Exploding Kombucha stained my kitchen walls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginagrb

Reaction score
Last night several bottles of Kombucha which I had left brewing for far too long managed to explode all over my kitchen wall and ceiling, leaving some serious splattery stains (darker than the colour of the paint on the walls).

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? I'm not sure if it's stains, or layers of the paint have actually been removed through an acidic chemical reaction.

I've tried to clean the stains away, as well as using bleach but they wont budge - which is why I think perhaps the Kombucha actually burnt a layer of paint off.

Anyway, my kitchen wall and ceiling are now covered in permanent splatters and I need to fix it asap - preferably without painting the whole wall :) Help!!

14001805_10153813265492283_108771975_o.jpg

Try diluted vinegar and dish soap, preferably with a microfiber cloth or magic eraser. Hot oxyclean should work as well. Wet it and keep it wet for awhile, you're trying to dissolve solids from the kombucha back into the liquid to be removed, and be prepared to scrub for awhile.

Kombucha is less acidic than straight vinegar, and vinegar won't remove paint. Bleach probably won't take off kombucha stains, I don't think it's capable of breaking down the tannins from the tea.

AMAZING, thank you!!!! The bottles exploded last night, and I'll only be able to get back to them this evening - so that's a good 24 hours to let the Kombucha set into the walls. Do you think this will be a problem??

It depends on the paint, and how porous it is. I've used magic erasers for similar stains on latex, and if you scrub hard enough it will start taking a bit of the paint off. That can be a good thing if it's flat or satin finish, because it will help take the stain off but usually isn't noticeable.

I've gotten red wine stains out of old, white formica with oxyclean. No worries dude, worse comes to worse you can always paint over it.

So funny. Well, I once accidentally forgot to burp a couple of bottles of kombucha for a few days and you know what happened. When I opened one, it exploded to the ceiling and stained it because I was using blackberries at the time. :( Learned my lesson.

Back