SG has gone up after degassing and adding Fpack good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSmart8699

Reaction score
I'm making a store 100 percent juice mix (cranberry, apple, grape, pomegranate, blueberry and kiwi and strawberry blend) Ive made a similar one last year about this time as well.(came out tarty and dry) family wanted more sweet and seeing that I made it for thanksgiving and xmas I figured Id back-sweeten. so over the last week Ive been degassing as the SG said it was about 1.00 (the hydrometer was in the top blue) Last week I got my 2 boxes of Mixed berry shiraz kit. So I figued Id use half to 2/3rd of one of the fpacks as the back swetener and add more flavor. did that and now its has bubbles again and the hydrometter now says 1.01and a tad more though not at 1.02. Is it fermenting again and if so will a week be good before reracking again (this wine last year only took me 6 weeks from start to bottle I know longer is better but I dont have the space to have more then one wine 7.8 gallon so I been putting them in bottles to age for usually 1-3 months) NO bad smell not even sulfer smells good even taste good. But could that be just Fpack?

If you didnt use metabisulfate and potassium sorbate, then it is probably fermenting the new additions. Usually one would rerack in 1-3 months time based on lees acumulating on the bottle. If nothing had dropped out there isn't any reason to rack. Bottling quickly without stabilizing ( and sometimes with) can be potentially dngerous.

You added a thick liqúd...of course the SG wnt up. SG is only a measurement of how much thicker or thinner than water something is.

The pack should be stabilized so it shouldn't be fermenting. How long has this batch sat after it quit fermenting?

1st primary was 7days second was 10 days and then 10 days for a second racking and then added the potassium sorbate and campden tabs and 3 days later started to do the degassing just about a week)(from everything Ive read about store juice wines a month is good)(though when I bottle it will get most of them another 1-3 months at least)

Way too soon. I would have waited a month before adding the f pack. Keep your eye out for a re-ferment. There were a billion or two yeast cells in your wine.

bottled it and it turned out fine thank you (the refemnting seemed to only be anather day or 2 )

Back