Ideal kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Rock

Reaction score
I wanted to get some feedback on the ideal kettle size. I currently have an 8 gal kettle and after my first foray into BIAB, I am already seeing the limitations. My first instinct was to consider a 10-12gal kettle, thinking that would give me plenty of headroom.

But then I started to think, the ability to do a 10gal batch would be nice. While I wouldn't commonly brew this volume, it would be nice from time to time, say with a block party or holiday, to brew an extra large batch.

So I started thinking that 15gal might be the way to go. But, it seems a kettle that size might be a touch unwieldy for a typical batch. What have you guys found to be a nice ideal size?

I know I'm in the minority around here, but I like to do 1-3 gallon batches. I get to brew more often and try more styles. That after all is the biggest reason I got into this: it is fun. (the other reason, saving some money, hasn't worked out yet. I think I'm still at about $8/bottle for what I've produced. HAH!) I use a 5 gallon kettle with a 2.5 gallon backup kettle. I can't quite mash full volume in the 5 gallon when I'm doing a 3 gallon brew.

That tells me that if you want to do something 3.3 times as big as my setup (ie 10 gallons) you'd want something at least 4x as big as my 5 gallon: So if you want to do a 10 gallon batch with full volume mash you'd want a 20 gallon kettle. That's pretty ridiculous. So yeah 15 will work if you want to go to 10 gallons, though you might not be able to mash your full boil volume.

At least I think that's right.

I have a 15g BK and usually do 5g batches.IMO that's the perfect size never had a boil over. When I do 10g I split the boil in two pots and add them together after the hot break then I can start my hop additions without any extra math to divide them up.

I have an 8 gallon kettle that I use for BIAB and any 5 gallon recipe with over 13# of grain is pushing it. Almost like I'm begging for a boil over.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with at least a 10 gallon kettle.

I wanted to get some feedback on the ideal kettle size. I currently have an 8 gal kettle and after my first foray into BIAB, I am already seeing the limitations. My first instinct was to consider a 10-12gal kettle, thinking that would give me plenty of headroom.

But then I started to think, the ability to do a 10gal batch would be nice. While I wouldn't commonly brew this volume, it would be nice from time to time, say with a block party or holiday, to brew an extra large batch.

So I started thinking that 15gal might be the way to go. But, it seems a kettle that size might be a touch unwieldy for a typical batch. What have you guys found to be a nice ideal size?

I was in the position as you recently as I wanted to buy a nicer kettle for BIAB. I keg exclusively and have 5 gallon soda kegs. This typically works for me to do 5.5 gallon batches, although an 11 gallon batch would fill two kegs. I thought carefully and next considered how I would ferment 11G with my current setup. Its HOT here in SC, so even ales need to be temp controlled in the summer heat. Your situation may be different, but this was a consideration for me.

I decided on a 10 gallon Blichmann and cannot say how pleased I am with the purchase. With typical grain bills of 10-12 pounds and 7.5 G of mash water, I find the fit is perfect. I think I could get maybe 15 lbs of grain in there but it would start getting tight.

Think about the dead (head) space you'll have in the 15G kettle (5.5G batch) during your mash period when you want to strive for a consistent temp. I wrap my kettle in a movers blanket, but excessive headspace plays against you in a single mash infusion w/o getting into a recirculation situation.

For 5.5G batches of 1.050 to 1.060 gravity beers that I target, I can't be happier.

You mentioned a 10G batch. Without doubt, you'll need a 20G kettle to BIAB that size batch. A 15G kettle won't do that as far as I can tell.

I started with an 8 gal. kettle for 5 gal. batches, it worked but I always started at the limit of the kettle. I now have a 15 gallon and love it. I don't worry about boil overs. I need to start with 7.5 gal. for a finish of 5 gal. If I do a 10 gallon batch, I'll probably be at the limit again with the 15 gal.

I only do 10 gallon in a 20 gallon pot.Works real nice with no chance of a boil over.The average strike water is 14 gallons.At around a gallon an inch a 15 gallon pot would only leave one inch left in the pot.Virtually guaranteeing a boil over.The issue is would a smaller water volume in a larger pot work for a 5 gallon batch or would the water lever be to low for a correct mash..most likely but really couldn't say.

I only do 10 gallon in a 20 gallon pot.Works real nice with no chance of a boil over.The average strike water is 14 gallons.At around a gallon an inch a 15 gallon pot would only leave one inch left in the pot.Virtually guaranteeing a boil over.The issue is would a smaller water volume in a larger pot work for a 5 gallon batch or would the water lever be to low for a correct mash..most likely but really couldn't say.

I can't agree more Jonny. I use 7.5G strike water for a 5.5G batch, so that would be 15G in a 15G kettle for a 10G batch...of water alone? Where's the grain going? I think you mentioned boil over guaranteed? Yeow.

Another factor to consider is kettle specific. I researched Blichmann so I can't speak of others....but, if you get too big of a kettle, your strike water won't reach your thermometer probe. Having a temp probe in a kettle is a debate on its own, but for me that was an important detail. And a detail some folks overlook without some research. Blichmann has a chart to show at what volume of water the probe will be submerged. I suppose it depends on if the OP has a kettle with a temp probe in mind.

I can't agree more Jonny. I use 7.5G strike water for a 5.5G batch, so that would be 15G in a 15G kettle for a 10G batch...of water alone? Where's the grain going? I think you mentioned boil over guaranteed? Yeow.

Another factor to consider is kettle specific. I researched Blichmann so I can't speak of others....but, if you get too big of a kettle, your strike water won't reach your thermometer probe. Having a temp probe in a kettle is a debate on its own, but for me that was an important detail. And a detail some folks overlook without some research. Blichmann has a chart to show at what volume of water the probe will be submerged. I suppose it depends on if the OP has a kettle with a temp probe in mind.
Good point with the grains..zero chance of using a 15 gallon pot doing a full volume brew. On my 20 gallon pot I have around 6 inches left in the pot with the grain and usually sparge around a gallon of water

You'll want a 20 gallon kettle to do a 10 gallon batch. I just did a 12 gallon batch in my 62 quart kettle. 31 pounds of grain is a rather unwieldy amount to do a sparge on. I wouldn't recommend it.

I've found that my 62 quart is perfect for 6 gallon batches, no sparge.

Although there is a thread on here where someone custom built a kettle capable of 5 to 15 gallon batches. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=573718

I was in the position as you recently as I wanted to buy a nicer kettle for BIAB. I keg exclusively and have 5 gallon soda kegs. This typically works for me to do 5.5 gallon batches, although an 11 gallon batch would fill two kegs. I thought carefully and next considered how I would ferment 11G with my current setup. Its HOT here in SC, so even ales need to be temp controlled in the summer heat. Your situation may be different, but this was a consideration for me.

I decided on a 10 gallon Blichmann and cannot say how pleased I am with the purchase. With typical grain bills of 10-12 pounds and 7.5 G of mash water, I find the fit is perfect. I think I could get maybe 15 lbs of grain in there but it would start getting tight.

Think about the dead (head) space you'll have in the 15G kettle (5.5G batch) during your mash period when you want to strive for a consistent temp. I wrap my kettle in a movers blanket, but excessive headspace plays against you in a single mash infusion w/o getting into a recirculation situation.

For 5.5G batches of 1.050 to 1.060 gravity beers that I target, I can't be happier.

You mentioned a 10G batch. Without doubt, you'll need a 20G kettle to BIAB that size batch. A 15G kettle won't do that as far as I can tell.

I am biab. I have a 15 gallon blichman boilermaker and regularly do 10 gallon bathes.

Yes. No sparge. My brew days spreadsheet calculates required volume, accounting for absorption, displacement, and boil off. I plug in my desired final batch and it spits out strike water and kettle volume, just to keep me safe.

Cool. What is the calculations spreadsheet you use? Is it paid software?

We are in a similar position for sure. I also am now kegging and have little plans to bottle in the future. Perhaps occasionally, but I have little interest after building a keezer for 4 kegs.

You make a really good point about the headspace in a large kettle. For the vast majority of my brews, I will do a single 5 gal at a time. I liked the idea of flexibility to do a double batch, but the reality is that would be rare. And the more I think of it, the extra large kettle would be more a liability than anything else. A 10 gal might be just the ticket. According to http://biabcalculator.com/, I potentially could fit 20lbs of grain and make a huge beer, something I'm unlikely to do.

I had a great experience with my first BIAB and assuming the beer comes out all right, I can't see myself going going with the mash tun approach. I suppose I should never say never, but the simplicity of BIAB really appeals to me. I am trying to make my life less complicated these days and BIAB really suits well.

As to the temp probe, my current kettle has one and I like having it. While it's not as accurate as my thermapen, I like the instant feedback at a quick glance of ballpark temps.

We are in a similar position for sure. I also am now kegging and have little plans to bottle in the future. Perhaps occasionally, but I have little interest after building a keezer for 4 kegs.

You make a really good point about the headspace in a large kettle. For the vast majority of my brews, I will do a single 5 gal at a time. I liked the idea of flexibility to do a double batch, but the reality is that would be rare. And the more I think of it, the extra large kettle would be more a liability than anything else. A 10 gal might be just the ticket. According to http://biabcalculator.com/, I potentially could fit 20lbs of grain and make a huge beer, something I'm unlikely to do.

I had a great experience with my first BIAB and assuming the beer comes out all right, I can't see myself going going with the mash tun approach. I suppose I should never say never, but the simplicity of BIAB really appeals to me. I am trying to make my life less complicated these days and BIAB really suits well.

As to the temp probe, my current kettle has one and I like having it. While it's not as accurate as my thermapen, I like the instant feedback at a quick glance of ballpark temps.

Our goals and equipment ideas are similar indeed. If there was one thing about home brewing I detested, it was bottling. I absolutely cannot fathom the idea of bottling now that soda kegs line my brew cave.

Like you, having a thermometer installed on my brew kettle is an important feature to me. Others balk at that, and I respect their opinion. Be mindful when you lift your grain bag out, push the bag away from the probe with your stir spoon as it will hang up on the probe if you don't. I have a ratchet pulley that is ideal for bag lifting, and I got it from Wilser when I ordered my bags.

I calibrated my Blichmann Brewometer against my Thermapen and it is dead on the money. I almost always dual check my temps at mash in, and they are always spot on and together.

I was on Craigslist one day and found a Blichmann 20G kettle that was brand new in the box. I already have a 10G Blichmann and convinced myself I don't need two. Well......I bought it (at a real deal) against my own better judgement. BUT, I almost never use it. The 10G is my workhorse and I'd never look back. I also have a 15G aluminum kettle that I added all the goodies on myself with a step bit. Once again, I rarely, if ever, use that one either. For a 5.5G batch that you'll keg for your keezer, my money is on the 10G.

Like (probably) many on here, I started with kits, then did a few BIAB - my kettle was 8gal and most batches put me up to the rim. BIAB was an order of magnitude better than the kits - made a Kolsch that was spot on and a couple others. I also had some that were off as well. Then, I moved to all grain,..and if you stick to it, you will advance to all grain most likely as well.

Before my first batch, I talked to some folks at local micro and got a busted keg from them. Used an angle grinder, took the top off and turned it into a brew kettle.

Point of the story is even with all grain you will probably brew something on the bigger side and need the capacity. 10gal puts you comfortable for nearly all BIAB 5gal batches, but if you are really going to stick with it, get a 15gal brew vessel and you will be thankful in the long run.

I have a 10 gallon and a 14 gallon kettle. It's a great setup for BIAB 6 or 10 gallon batches.

When I brew a 6 gallon batch the small kettle is the perfect size for a full boil. Just enough headroom but not too much. For these brews I use the big kettle for batch sparging in. After the boil is finished I put the small kettle inside the big kettle and put iced water into the gap. This helps a lot with cooling, in conjunction with an immersion chiller.

For 10 gallon batches, I do the boil in the big kettle and the small kettle is good for sparging, then I use it as an ice bucket for circulating iced water through the immersion chiller.

For storage everything stacks inside each other nicely.

I use a 10 gallon kettle to do 5.5 gallon brews, full volume mash. For normal gravity beers, this size works perfect. I haven't done any really big beers, but I could see things getting close to the top.

In case someone finds this thread via search one day, I figured I'd give an update. Based on several recommendations on this forum, I went with a Concord kettle, the 20gal with the flat lid. They're currently 10% off with free shipping, so it came to $103. I am really impressed with the quality. Really quite thick and sturdy, it's leagues better than my old kettle. In the end I decided to forego a valve or thermometer. On my last brew using my old kettle I tried a 1/2" autosiphon in lieu of the built in valve and it worked perfectly. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point and if so I'll just drill a hole and add a valve when the time comes. As for the thermometer, I'm not sure I'll bother. On my old kettle it was always getting in the way and inaccurate. I'll stick with my thermapen for now.

Yesterday, I brewed my first batch in it, a German Pilsner. I did an 11gal batch Biab with 19lbs of grain. It couldn't have gone smoother. Due to the wider diameter of the kettle I was able to crank the burner much higher without fear of melting a valve. Having ample headspace also meant I didn't have to worry so much during the boil since I was less concerned with boilover.

Obviously it was just one brew session, but I couldn't be happier with how it went. Not a whole lot more effort for twice as much beer.

Congrats on a nice kettle and a great brew day. :mug:
I do 6-11 gallon batches in a 16 gallon kettle and have found putting aluminum foil on top of the grain bed after mashing in helps hold steady temperature, especially with the smaller batches.

I went with a Concord kettle, the 20gal with the flat lid. They're currently 10% off with free shipping, so it came to $103. I am really impressed with the quality. Really quite thick and sturdy, it's leagues better than my old kettle. In the end I decided to forego a valve or thermometer. On my last brew using my old kettle I tried a 1/2" autosiphon in lieu of the built in valve and it worked.

Obviously it was just one brew session, but I couldn't be happier with how it went. Not a whole lot more effort for twice as much beer.

Good for you! I think you made a smart choice and you will be pleased.

IMO foregoing a valve and kettle mounted thermometer can be a benefit. Most with a kettle mounted thermometer typically also use a handheld, and racking out of the kettle takes all of a few minutes. As a bonus you have no valve to clean and no worries over having a filthy valve, and no valve handle to melt with too much heat.

Cleaning and handling a "naked" kettle is easier IMHO.

For a hundred bucks delivered that's a lot of kettle, while I'm sure the Blichmann 20 gal is a beautiful kettle, at $450 you have to love it, a lot lol.

Cheers

Good for you! I think you made a smart choice and you will be pleased.

IMO foregoing a valve and kettle mounted thermometer can be a benefit. Most with a kettle mounted thermometer typically also use a handheld, and racking out of the kettle takes all of a few minutes. As a bonus you have no valve to clean and no worries over having a filthy valve, and no valve handle to melt with too much heat.

Cleaning and handling a "naked" kettle is easier IMHO.

For a hundred bucks delivered that's a lot of kettle, while I'm sure the Blichmann 20 gal is a beautiful kettle, at $450 you have to love it, a lot lol.

Cheers

Right now I'm sold on going w/o a valve. The cover on my old kettle valve is melted and I was always so concerned the o-ring would get compromised from the heat. In fairness, this kettle is so much wider that wouldn't be an issue. But we'll see, I'll reserve my right to change my mind. What really sold me was the day I stepped on my 3/8" autosiphon and broke it. I replaced it with a 1/2" and the speed was quite noticeable.

I should also make sure to give you props. I used my wilserbag for the first time and was quite pleased. Great quality all around. The drawstring made it much easier than dealing with clips, and the pulley worked great. Anyone looking for a bag should definitely check out Wilser. He made the bag to the specific dimensions of my kettle and shipped the next day. It's a no brainer!

I should also make sure to give you props. I used my wilserbag for the first time and was quite pleased. Great quality all around. The drawstring made it much easier than dealing with clips, and the pulley worked great. Anyone looking for a bag should definitely check out Wilser. He made the bag to the specific dimensions of my kettle and shipped the next day. It's a no brainer!
I totally agree. I have used my wilserbag and "Naked" kettle to brew some award winning beers. Simple can be understated at times.

Back