Everything in one carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
I have been making a lot of IPA's and have been very strict about racking into a CO2 purged secondary using CO2 pressure. That is when I do my dry hopping. I'm curious as to whether I could try to do the whole thing in one carboy. There is plenty of headspace after the initial fireworks. That would mean the beer would sit on the yeast cake for up to a month, but it would be covered over as the hops fell to the bottom. What am I really gaining by doing the transfer to the secondary, or is a hoppy beer like this sensitive enough that I should keep doing it? Thank you.

I have been making a lot of IPA's and have been very strict about racking into a CO2 purged secondary using CO2 pressure. That is when I do my dry hopping. I'm curious as to whether I could try to do the whole thing in one carboy. There is plenty of headspace after the initial fireworks. That would mean the beer would sit on the yeast cake for up to a month, but it would be covered over as the hops fell to the bottom. What am I really gaining by doing the transfer to the secondary, or is a hoppy beer like this sensitive enough that I should keep doing it? Thank you.

I brew a lot of IPAs, and usually dryhop in the primary. I don't leave the beer a month, but certainly usually it's about 2-3 weeks. I like doing this, and only use a secondary vessel if I'm saving the yeast from the primary. You could even flood the primary with c02 if you want to add a bit of extra insurance.

Back