Mash efficiency through the roof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
Good morning all -

Brewed up a Vienna-Graf style lager this weekend and utilized a multi-step decoction mash (recipe below). Doughed in at 130, rest 30, upped to 140 for alpha, rest 30, upped to 150 for beta, rest 30, mash out to 168.

Problem is that I ended up with a 1.061 OG in the fermenter. I am fermenting now at 52 and hope the yeasties are happy. Note I did add yeast nutrient in last 15 minutes of the boil and oxygenated for 5 minutes with pure O2.

White labs says attenuation should be 70-78%. Hopefully it finished on the high side which would put me around 1.013-1.014.

Here's my question, should I plan to blend the final beer down with water when I keg? Not sure I really want to be drinking a 6%+ I know many commercial breweries use this procedure effectively. Any advice from folks who have successfully blended down high gravity beers would be appreciated.

Recipe (11 gal):

10lb Vienna Malt
5 lb Maize
5 lb Pilsner
4 oz Chocolate (350SRM) - last 15 min
2 oz Tettnang (2.6%) - 60 min
1 oz Mt. Hood (6.1%) - 60 min
1 oz Mt. Hood (6.1%) - 15 min
2 oz Tettnang (2.6%) - Whirlpool
2 vials WLP940 - in 4.5 liter starter

Last edited:
The decoction mash really helps for efficiency:)

I would rather add water to it now than at kegging. Add boiled and chilled water to achieve the OG you was planning for. The yeast will be happier fermenting a weaker wort and you get more beer:mug:

I think you mixed up alpha and beta, but I know what you're saying. You meant to say you had a beta rest at 140 and an alpha rest at 150F, but that's really a bit cool for alpha. So you really had a two stage beta rest, so you likely have a very fermentable wort.

I would be a little concerned that if you watered it down, you might have an overly-thin bodied beer (ABV notwithstanding). Just something to think about.

You will never know unless you split the brew. Water half down, bottle and blind taste.

Back