Boiled tea for too long...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyBrewer

Reaction score
I started a batch this morning, setting some tea bags to boil with sugar earlier this morning and forgot about it. Instead of boiling for 10-15 minutes, it simmered for 50 minutes before I remembered. Should I dump this or is it somehow OK? I'm assuming that boiling that long will result in it being super tannic.

I'd star over.

On another note, to steep tea you should bring the water just to a boil, then turn the heat off. Steep the tea for 10-20 minutes, strain the tea, and then add the sugar to dissolve.

Do not boil the tea for any length of time.

Bring the water to a boil, add sugar while stirring to dissolve, then remove from heat AND THEN steep the tea in the hot water for ~15 minutes.

Echoing what others have said, but don't boil your tea! I add my sugar, bring the sugar water to a boil while whisking occasionally. Once it comes to a boil I let it roll for a minute, kill the flame, add the tea, and let it steep for 15 minutes with the lid on.

Latest posts

Back